Artificial grass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Currently have a patio that is in need of renewing as we had a few break/discolour etc. Looking at options I was going to just lift them and replace with new pavers however area is shaded and a bit damp so it wouldn’t be long before the new pavers were mossed up etc and need jet washing which could damage them or decrease their life, Looking at alternative I can see artificial grass may be a better option, cheaper then concreting area or replacing pavers and less labour intensive. I’ve read I can just lay this on the existing pavers as long as they are flat and level, is that a good idea or is it best to lift all the pavers and put the grass on the sub base for the pavers? If I can lay them on the pavers it’s going to save my back and also mean I won’t have to get a skip. In terms of drainage I know the grass has drainage holes but will this be an issue for it to just soak through to the stones/hardcore bearing in mind that the grass is going to block out the sun and wind drying them prevent the ground to retain water. Advice welcomed and pics below
61AFE9AD-7245-427A-94E0-1A9A8DE73074.jpeg

4D79A2A7-3CF7-49BB-AA3C-DFEEF19EEC78.jpeg

Sponsored Links
First off, I am not a fan of artificial grass. It feels strange under foot and loses it's colour and flexibility over time and has to be replaced. It can be laid over pavers, but if it's not fixed down with spikes into the ground, it can move and edges can lift, (think loose carpet tiles). One way to help combat this movement is to stitch along the edges of all the joints with some good quality twine.
Bite the bullet, remove all slabs, rotavate and sew real grass. May be more than you want to do but the end result is much better and lasts much longer.

First off, I am not a fan of artificial grass. It feels strange under foot and loses it's colour and flexibility over time and has to be replaced. It can be laid over pavers, but if it's not fixed down with spikes into the ground, it can move and edges can lift, (think loose carpet tiles). One way to help combat this movement is to stitch along the edges of all the joints with some good quality twine.
Bite the bullet, remove all slabs, rotavate and sew real grass. May be more than you want to do but the end result is much better and lasts much longer.

thanks for the reply, I’ve never really seen artificial grass only came across it when searching online and thought it may be a cheaper option then using stones, pavers or concreting. I wouldn’t go for real grass as I have enough to mow already lol probably end up removing pavers and choosing between stones or artificial grass spending on price

I have some artificial grass on sand outside my living room and kitchen, it is great. So much nicer than slabs - it dries out quicker than slabs after a shower, at least, you don't notice it. You will need to put a weed barrier membrane down over the soil areas. I'd just put it on the slabs and see how it goes!

Sponsored Links
I have some artificial grass on sand outside my living room and kitchen, it is great. So much nicer than slabs - it dries out quicker than slabs after a shower, at least, you don't notice it. You will need to put a weed barrier membrane down over the soil areas. I'd just put it on the slabs and see how it goes!

thanks for the reply, thinking the same if I can prevent having to lift all those pavers and getting a skip then I think anyone would. I know water drains out under them so not an issue with being to high on dpc of wall but was concerned with the water remaking on the slabs and not drying as shelter by the artificial grass

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back