As promised to all my readers...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...next "Is he really asking how to do something that simple" thread :D

Having, with invaluable help from the experts here, replaced my toilet and fited new taps & waste to my aging bathroom basin, I've decided to tackle something (hopefully) a little simpler next. This is the sink in my utility room:

20190819_111827.jpg

Two problems here: (1) the hot tap leaks badly from between the tap handle and the mixer body. I believe I can buy replacement "glands" from Screwfix, but unfortunately I don't know which kind - they tend to list them under brand names, eg Flomasta, Bristan etc - anybody recognise these? Don't really want to replace the entire mixer at this stage if I can avoid it, as the whole lot will probably be ripped out and replaced next year...

(2) no matter how firmly I press the plug into the waste, the sink empties in a minute or two, so I was thinking of replacing the waste... if I do, will I likely need to use a "basin mate" to seal it properly, or do you not get the same sealing problems with stainless sinks? PS also the waste isn't slotted - the overflow goes down separately into the trap below.

Sponsored Links
Two problems here: (1) the hot tap leaks badly from between the tap handle and the mixer body. I believe I can buy replacement "glands" from Screwfix, but unfortunately I don't know which kind - they tend to list them under brand names, eg Flomasta, Bristan etc - anybody recognise these? Don't really want to replace the entire mixer at this stage if I can avoid it, as the whole lot will probably be ripped out and replaced next year...

They tend to use O rings these days to seal the spindle to the tap body, so no adjustable. Fix is to buy a box of mixed O rings, as sold by Lidl/Aldi to have to hand. Alternatively, you can buy the complete tap insert, to just screw into the body - your 'glands'.

I have two of your type of plug, they are just a large flap of 'rubber', fixed to the underside of that basket - nowt much to go wrong. I suggest checking and cleaning the rubber and checking cleaning the surface it seals against. It could be as simple as some trapped dirt causing it to leak.

My problem, is removing the plastic filter/jet in the end of the spout in the photo. It has flats for a spanner, but it is so tight and flexible, the spanner just slips off. I'm looking to get it out, to give it a clean, but have so far failed.

They tend to use O rings these days to seal the spindle to the tap body, so no adjustable. Fix is to buy a box of mixed O rings, as sold by Lidl/Aldi to have to hand. Alternatively, you can buy the complete tap insert, to just screw into the body - your 'glands'.

Right. Bet my LIDL won’t though. They never have ANYTHING people recommend on forums :mad:

I have two of your type of plug, they are just a large flap of 'rubber', fixed to the underside of that basket - nowt much to go wrong. I suggest checking and cleaning the rubber and checking cleaning the surface it seals against. It could be as simple as some trapped dirt causing it to leak.

Sadly the rubber is worn, allowing the water past, and I’ve had no luck finding the right kind of stopper in B&Q :(

My problem, is removing the plastic filter/jet in the end of the spout in the photo. It has flats for a spanner, but it is so tight and flexible, the spanner just slips off. I'm looking to get it out, to give it a clean, but have so far failed.

Yeah… a lot of the water in England (assuming that’s where you are) is very hard, isn’t it – when I lived in Gloucestershire, it was like a weak mortar mix coming out of the tap :eek:

Here it’s very soft, so not too much of a problem.

Think you’ll have to use the Mole Grips. I once dated a lady called Debbie Morris, from Leominster, who told me her great grandfather or somebody had founded a tool company there, called MOL (Morris of Leominster), and invented MOL GRIPS. Wikipedia tells a very different story, which rings true… any wonder I don’t trust women…

Glands, can you unscrew one and take it with you to compare?

Waste, you need a new 'Basket waste', everything required will be in the pack. Cheap version £3.99 at Screwfix, it you want to guarantee no leaks, maybe better to buy a more expensive one. Basins are a bugger to seal due to their design.

Sponsored Links
Take the tap handle off to establish if the leak is where the valve meets the tap body ,or is it from the spindle where it 1/4 turns in the valve body ? If its the former ,wrap the threads in PTFE. If its the latter ,remove the valve and source a replacement.

If you're going to replace the sink waste then no, no basin mate needed. It uses a flat rubber seal on the underside cup and the steel face is flat so seals easily. Just ensure the steel is flat and clean and dry and give the centre nut/screw a good nip up.

Make sure you get the waste with overflow kit that will fit your current sink. Rarely get the same size of overflow pipe on a replacement basket.

Well... think I got stitched. I saw some on Screwfix which LOOKED right, but decided to go to a local plumbers' merchants with the original, and say "two of these please" to be sure.

So I got (and fitted) some, but got charged £19 for something which cost less than half that at SF... sigh... oh well, at least the tap is OK now...

20190819_185552.jpg

Right. Bet my LIDL won’t though. They never have ANYTHING people recommend on forums :mad:

I've just got back from our local Lidl and as it happens, they have O ring kits in stock at £2.99. There was a mix of boxes of odds and ends, all in translucent boxes - washers, small nuts and bolts, jubilee clips etc.. My kit from a decade ago, came in a green specially made for O rings box and quite comprehensive mix of sizes.

I've just got back from our local Lidl and as it happens, they have O ring kits in stock at £2.99. There was a mix of boxes of odds and ends, all in translucent boxes - washers, small nuts and bolts, jubilee clips etc.. My kit from a decade ago, came in a green specially made for O rings box and quite comprehensive mix of sizes.

Thanks! That stuff is always useful :D

Update 21/08/19 - got this little lot there today, only £2.49 a box - that'll keep me out of trouble for a while :cool:

20190821_114654.jpg

Last edited:
Glands, can you unscrew one and take it with you to compare?

Waste, you need a new 'Basket waste', everything required will be in the pack. Cheap version £3.99 at Screwfix, it you want to guarantee no leaks, maybe better to buy a more expensive one. Basins are a bugger to seal due to their design.

Well I bought the £3.99 one, and it looks like maybe my sink is a non-standard size... the Screwfix jobbie measures about 90mm across the top, but mine is more like 115mm - can I get one like that? The SF ones don't appear to be described very well, saying things like 32mm etc, which they clearly aren't :mad:

20190821_174126.jpg

Last edited:
I think the one you bought is the smaller type for basins (hence the 32 mm)

Think you'll need this one. It has the rectangular overflow to suit your sink, so you may replace that as well if you like!

https://www.toolstation.com/stainless-steel-basket-strainer-waste/p16490

Yes, I had assumed that my rectangular overflows were some kind of weirdo ones, and woudl have to replace the entire sink if I needed to do them, so this is good news!

That site doesn't seem to give dimensions - diameter-wise, are they all the same?

Thanks a lot :notworthy:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back