As promised to all my readers...

Sponsored Links
Most good outlets stock mcalpine.
You can always call them and ask for a list of stockists in your area!

Right. Here’s why I’m always on here asking what would appear to be very basic questions. The McAlpine one comes with a 41mm ferrule. I assume, by this, they mean the rectangular rubber washer which seals the outlet to the side of the sink. It can also be supplied with 70mm or 90mm ferrules.

Mine are approx. 60mm.

Might be best for me to get just the actual strainer, and hope my existing overflow pipe fits it…?

****_it_clean.jpg

I think the ferrule refers to the length of the bolt that secures/sandwiches the top of the waste kit to the bottom part... ie: depending on thickness of sink skin your using it with... I haven't studied the specs though so can't be sure!

What you're referring to is usually called a gasket!

Sponsored Links
I think the ferrule refers to the length of the bolt that secures/sandwiches the top of the waste kit to the bottom part... ie: depending on thickness of sink skin your using it with... I haven't studied the specs though so can't be sure!

What you're referring to is usually called a gasket!

Where in the name of all that is holy did I get the idea that a gasket could be called a “ferrule”… I think it’s because I was looking at a picture of one of these units, and it showed 3 of the gaskets, which I thought were perhaps different lengths; then the McAlpine one said it could be supplied with 3 different length ferrules, and something clicked in my aging brain and made a rather silly connection! D’Ohhh!!!

So.. do you reckon the rectangular overflows are all the same width then? Somebody tell me there’s SOME sanity in the universe of plumbing…

There was when it was all British made :mad:

Oh, don't get me started... Eeee, I remember the days when you could strip and rebuild an engine with just a ¼ Whitworth spanner, Philips screwdriver, and a good hammer...

If you can't get the same size then bigger is better, as long as it'll fit over the overflow outlet then that'll be fine as it will seal from the back.

Cheers Rob - I've looked at a few manufacurers' websites etc now, and in fact I think they ARE all the same size, so I'll order a couple and get on with it...

Then there's the leaking overflow behind the big knob which lifts the waste stopper in the bath... guess I'll need something like this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back