Asbestos (Asbestolux), Supalux or cement/fibre board?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've had some exposure to dust from these soffits from installing 6 cctv cameras (20mm hole saw) and 4 floodlights (~8mm holes). All from the outside so better than inside at least.
A decorator was over looking for dampness and managed to snap part of the soffit, he thinks is might be asbestos. Before he said that I was pretty ignorant to be honest and I am now kicking myself. I had presumed a 1982 build would be safe but I might be well wrong there my Googling now shows me.

Anyway I know I need to get a sample tested which I am trying to find a lab to do but in the meantime does anyone recognise this type of board. Is there any tell tell sign of whether it is likely AIB or much better an inert fibre/cement board?

I've read some comments about most post 1980 Asbestolux being Supalux an inert alternative with a give away being a sparkle, which this has, but that seems to be an assumption as silica or mica seemed to have been used in Asberstolux also..?

Anyway please don't make me feel worse than I do already about the risk I've taken unwittingly here.

Thanks all,
S

Attachments

• IMG_1937.JPEG
    IMG_1937.JPEG
    199.1 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1938.JPEG
    IMG_1938.JPEG
    234.7 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1939.JPEG
    IMG_1939.JPEG
    216.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1940.JPEG
    IMG_1940.JPEG
    243.6 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Get it tested.
Look at council website to see If they will take it if you can get it down yourself, or get company in to remove.

Can't say by looking at it what it is

You dont have to remove it. You can seal it by over cladding. Hard to tell what that may be but it may be worth getting it tested so you know how to deal with it. Having been exposed to asbestos in the past I wouldn't worry too much, the quantities involved here will be very small and it will take years to rear its ugly head. Crack on and enjoy life, its short enough.

You'll need to know what it is for the imminent fascia and soffit replacement!

Look for either a local firm, or one that does postal analysis, and are UKAS accredited.

Sponsored Links
Sample is with the lab. £42 all in.
We should find out in 48 hours.

Attachments

• 7E7C6578-3D57-4382-811F-A984D1ADCA08.jpeg
    7E7C6578-3D57-4382-811F-A984D1ADCA08.jpeg
    320.6 KB · Views: 61

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back