Asbestos garage roof - what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a single garage that I need to park my car in, currently it is used as a storage area for bikes, tent, toys, garden equipment etc. The roof itself is made up of large asbestos sheets, which are fairly in tact and may have been up there since the 70's but possibly as far back as the late 50's.

There have been a few attempts to patch and cover gaps but the main issue is there is major water ingress all along one side due to lack of proper facia. This has led to all the beams being exposed to the elements along one side, they get wet when it rains basically and the water tracks in. Some of the beams look rotten now and I am trying to work out what to do next.

I am considering repairing but I am not confident in terms of be able to access all the roof as one side is right up against another garage which would mean needing to walk along a neighbours asbestos roof to fix my own. I am also considering bracing or replacing one of the beams without removing the roof.

Another option would be to consider removing and replacing the roof however given the material I would probably like a professional company to do it rather than myself.

Does anyone have any advice, should I try and patch or go for removal? I don't really have the money to remove and replace, but I think I may need to find the funds.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hello.

It's mainly concrete, with some asbestos.

You can remove this yourself with protective disposable clothes and bag it up. If you need to break any to bag up, you can under a flow of water from a hose, as wet asbestos won't get airbourne. Quite a lot of local councils will give you an asbestos waste permit to take it to the tip.

Although precautions should be taken, there really is little risk from this kind of asbestos containing material, as it's not pure asbestos, it's mostly concrete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back