Asbestos in drinking water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was surprised to hear that we have miles of asbestos water mains in use and that the gov consider that there is no health risk. It appears that we may consume vast quantities of asbestos due to the pipes. Quite alarming really :?:

Sponsored Links
when I was with BG I came accross asbestos gas mains and the distribution blokes used to drill them and fit the Tee off with the gas blasting in their face, so much for H&S then

I was surprised to hear that we have miles of asbestos water mains in use and that the gov consider that there is no health risk. It appears that we may consume vast quantities of asbestos due to the pipes. Quite alarming really :?:

No, they're right.
Besides that, the pipes will never catch fire.

Sponsored Links
Its breathing it, as it attacks the lungs, or the other way round.

Yep, I get the picture, I have a good tolerance of red hot curries and I wonder now if its because of my youth, partly spent happily removing the stuff. sometimes the lower half of my body looses some control though the morning after if Ive done 5 cobras. Personally, I don't worry about my health but asbestos fibers in drinking water,hmm, it don't sound good and ive read all the stuff on the net that is inconclusive. Now I know that our esteemed friends to the west are completely ridiculous, but they reckon its worth keeping an eye on.

Asbestos fibres are harmless in the stomach.

Just dont breath them!

you need asbestos fibers in hundreds to make difference

the amount moved from the surface will be minute particles every day but not many as the pipes are still solid 40 years on

if you assume the mass off the pipes are say 10 tonnes serving say serving 1000 people over say 40 years and the mass off the pipes has been reduced to say 9 tonnes thats 1 ton over 40 years thats around 25kg per year to 1000 people so per day =0.07 grams per day over 1000 people
where around 2 or 3% will be consumed as most is washing and toilet flushing
so per person is 1000 off 0.07 so 0.00007 per person with 97% not consumed so a further 3 zero added to the number so so 00000007 part per L consumed but not all will stay in the body

now my assumptions may be miles out and it should be reaserch i actually doubt the material loss is anywhere near 10% but who knows
the point i am making air polution smoking drinking eating driving walking will all be several times more dangerous than any know risk

Love it when you talk dirty BA :LOL:

The asbestos in cement pipes are short and relatively harmless.

It's the long ones that you don't want, a single fiber can snag and turn cancerous, but there again you are more likely to die from cancer through bad diet. e.g. Junk food.

But what the heck the world end in a couple of months and you should be out there borrowing as much money from the banks as possible, knowing you wont have to pay them back. :mrgreen:

yes i agree doitall

you can die from drinking to much water
people need to focus on "real dangers"

now i think off it you need to add several zeros to my equasion as only a small percentage is actually asbestos so around another 2 zeros or 0000000007;)

you should be out there borrowing as much money from the banks as possible, knowing you wont have to pay them back.

Unfortunately thats not true!

Unless you have Payment Protection Insurance the bank will be chasing the executors of the deceased person for repayment from the estate!

Banks are too frightened to sell PPI any more!

That looks a good film.

But I dont enjoy computer generated scenes.

I prefer reality films of real situations.

There are very similar scenes from Japan following the earthquake and tsunami there.

That looks a good film.

But I dont enjoy computer generated scenes.

I prefer reality films of real situations.

There are very similar scenes from Japan following the earthquake and tsunami there.

i dont have the patience to watch a film i havent watched one for over 20 years i prefer reality fact informative and escapism with comedy

i used to record films and tv on video from the 70s/80s/90s over 1600 hrs but never watch any
so simply record on freeveiw and watch around 2 weeks behind lol :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back