Asbestos in first home?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought my first home in Cardiff.

I've always been paranoid about asbestos so had a look around and took some photos.

Any ideas on the materials in these pictures please?

Thanks!
20180119_142011.jpg
20180119_142011.jpg
20180119_142017.jpg
20180119_142119.jpg
20180119_142058.jpg

Sponsored Links
it looks like old loft carp to me :mrgreen:

Is it the loft,or a cupboard?

How old is the house?

Sponsored Links
Ha Ha! Thanks for the useful replies..... Lol.

It's in the attic. Here are some other photos that didn't upload.
Screenshot_20180120-134937.png
Screenshot_20180120-134953.png

And match boxes!

The white fluffy stuff looks like cavity wall insulation, and the darker crumbly stuff looks like vermiculite insulation. No asbestos.

And match boxes!

The white fluffy stuff looks like cavity wall insulation, and the darker crumbly stuff looks like vermiculite insulation. No asbestos.

I was checking around for my own insulation related quandaries and stumbled upon this.
I don't know why you would discount asbestos from vermiculite insulation if it is stated on different sources online that vermiculite insulation USED TO CONTAIN/BE CONTAMINATED with ASBESTOS!
So to the original poster, be careful!

Not in the UK.
There was a large vermiculite mine in Libby, Montana that at one point, made up for approximately 80% of the world’s vermiculite supply. What most didn’t know, however, was that all impure vermiculite from this mine held asbestos crystals. In fact, miners harvested impure vermiculite since 1881.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back