Worried about asbestos - am I being paranoid?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - be extremely grateful for any advice on the following -

We've removed a 1950s style brick fireplace from my property; fireplace opening is currently unfinished. I'll be getting a survey asap, but am now getting paranoid about asbestos risk, particularly as have kid on the way!

Does anyone here know if the attached photos look like asbestos, and if so whether we should tape off or just leave it until a professional looks at it?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I can only see bricks, mortar and concrete.

Is there any fluffy or woven grey insulation, or any grey cement-like board?

You are more likely to find asbestos in a factory or boiler-room than in a domestic house. Sometimes it was used inside boilers and steel flues as a seal or gasket on joints.

Thanks! Bit I was particularly concerned about is what appears to be a foam pad sitting on top; couple of further photos below. Although now I’m, being paranoid I’m also wondering whether I should get anything else there tested, as I understand asbestos was woven into a lot of materials....

*edit - no cement like board that I can see.

I don't know what that is. Does it burn? Glass-fibre mineral wool as used in lofts does not burn easily, but will melt away with a blowlamp.

Sponsored Links
Not sure; would the view be if it burns or melts, it's unlikely to be asbestos? If it's uncertain, I'm inclined to just leave it for now & get it professionally removed this week.

Yup - after a bit of googling I'm hoping it's just rockwool, but I'm reluctant to take chances when I've got my pregnant wife living here! Will be trying burning it later.

is it yellow (where clean)?

And might it be in a quilt about 600mm wide and 50mm-100mm thick, or cut from such a roll?

Is around 50mm thick, and is yellow; can't tell width without pulling it out. Thanks for following up on this!

that's typical of fibreglass loft insulation. Pull it out and put it in a plastic bag.

If you are worried about fibres escaping, put some diluted PVA in a spray bottle and give it a few blasts and leave it to dry.

Your pregnant wife stands more chance of breathing in harmful dust on a busy city road than in any household situation. Tough creatures are pregnant women, stop pandering.

Never mind the dust - think of the diesel fumes particulates - and the residue of asbestos brake linings on the tube - and the mad cyclists. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back