Asbestos or cement board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have what looks like asbestos on my garage ceiling. Construction was 1967. Flat roof, with nothing above. See pic attached.

I've had various trades in for various things. Options ranging from, that's cement board, to that's asbestos, to that's asbestos but not the dangerous stuff.

I need to drill into it and would welcome some options on what I'm dealing with here.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• PXL_20211103_125511395.jpg
    PXL_20211103_125511395.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 101
Sponsored Links
Pre-1999 asbestos was commonly used in insulating materials, so the building is in the right time frame, but there is also the possibility that the ceilingb hasv been replaced in the meantime. One tell tale of asbestos vs. Supalux (modern) fireboard is that Supalux has reflective flecks in the surface which I believe is bronze powder (but I could be wrong there) whilst asbestos doesn't, but to really tell takes a lab because asbestos fibrer are much nthinner than human hair and very short

As to "that's asbestos but not the dangerous stuff", whoever said that is talking utter b@ll@x. All asbestos-containing boards are dangerous to an extent (please go to the HSE web site or the UKATA web site and read what better informed people say), the difference is that cement asbestos boards were generally made using a form of asbestos called chrysotile, which is the least harmful variety of asbestos, but nonetheless it should still be treated with appropriate caution. The standard advice with ALL forms of asbestos is to avoid disturbing them by cutting, sawing or drilling and that encapsulation and documentation (of the potential hazard - for future tradesmen, etc) is less hazardous than removal. So why do you need to drill into it? Or is it possible to do things another way?

BTW I'm not frightened of asbestos, having installed quite a bit of fire boarding in the past (and so far gotten away with it), but I am wary these days having seen a former friend and colleague die of mesothelioma a few years back. As a decorator he was not even someone who installed the stuff - he reckons it was dusting artex and anaglypta ceilings off prior to painting them back in the 1970s and '80s was what did for him. Either way not a pleasant way to die.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back