Asbestos or fibre cement corrugated garage roof. Opinions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, would really appreciate your views. I'm wondering if it's worth getting our garage roof tested to check if it's asbestos. According to our neighbour it was built in at least 2001. I decided to check if I could find any ID stamps (see attached pics).

The first pic looks like a date stamp and I can make out 04 05 but not quite the first two numbers.

a>

CmVqVTb

The second picture has a series of four letters/numbers. I can't make out the first and last. The middle two look like UK M7.

a>
HGxtvGF

I was hoping someone in the know might recognise by the ID stamp if it was asbestos or not? Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Sorry can't help re ID stamps. I think use of asbestos in construction was fully banned in 1999, so if the garage was built 2000/01 you should be okay assuming the contractor was following legislation and not using sheets made prior to the ban.

As said it should be OK after around 2000. A test is the only true way, if it is pr-ecast and you know the maker of the garage, contacting them for information on the roof markings might help.

Thanks for the replies. I don't know the maker of the garage I'm afraid. But I checked BBM UK and they stopped trading back in 2010. I did find another sheet with a much clearer date stamp that says 22 03 05 D.

>

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back