Asbestos register plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Our new house has a large fireplace that now contains a log burner. The register plate that closes off the chimney is likely to be made of asbestos boards, according to the buildings surveyor.

I’ve got an asbestos surveying company coming to do a survey of the whole house, after which I expect I’ll be engaging them to remove the plate and any other particularly risky items they locate.

What I haven’t been able to work out yet is who I need to put in a new plate. Is this something that normal stove installers do? None of them seem to make specific mention of it on their websites.

Presumably once they remove the old one I’m going to have a draughty open chimney (albeit largely blocked by the flue) and will want to have a new plate in fairly soon so I’d like to get someone lined up in advance.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
hetas installer.
personally id take the measurements and make my own from mild steel sheet.
you say ‘a large opening’. you could make or get made your own 2 piece plate that joins in the middle , around your steel flue pipe.
i’ll be totally amazed if it’s asbestos.
do you know when the fire was installed?

The surveyors report says:
‘The flue pipe from the stove goes up through a register plate that seals the underside of the large old chimney. This is painted board but some of the taped joints have come away and the pattern on the board suggest it may be asbestos cement‘

I don’t know how long the stove has been there, but I know the house had some significant renovation in the 70s and the stove is one that is no longer made (Jotul Firelight 12).

Is there nothing more technical about the register plate than just being a sheet of steel with a hole in it, then?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back