Asbestos test and clean air certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A large national company has found what they say is a piece of asbestos in my home although surrounding facts suggest it cannot be. It is white and about 3 ft by 6 inches. They say they will not work here without it is tested and I provide a clean air certificate for the area in which it was found.

I know nothing about this and the prices quoted on the web are mind boggling.

Can someone please tell me how to get it tested at a reasonable price and how to go about a clean air certificate

JamesEB

Sponsored Links
Get a diy asbestos test kit,many available.
If the test comes back negative then a clean air certificate is not required.
Had a professional asbestos removal firm in last year to remove vinyl type (contains asbestos) floor tiles and on completion a clean air certificate was issued.

It could be a good idea if you look around your property to see if any other lookalike asbestos products are present,get them all tested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless the large national company are working on the material or will disturb it, then you don't need it tested and you certainly don't need an air test.

The company should have a method statement and risk assessment - ask for copies.

Otherwise, find a different company, who know more about working with asbestos.

Where is the material, and why do you think it not and they think it is asbestos?

An air test on its own is meaningless, and if it's in the loft in the presence of other insulation, impossible. The material itself can be tested though, and then you can decide what to do with it. If positive, then the actual type of asbestos with determine what can be done and how.

There are analyst companies for testing and removal companies for removal. Don't use the same company for both.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for replies.

Sorry I should have said that it is loose so I can take it to get it tested. Can someone please tell me of a properly regulated testing firm that is not overly expensive and gives quick results in the area of Croydon where I live?

I think the company concerned would not accept a DIY result.

I am not sure why they think it asbestos probably rather safe than sorry.

I think it can't be because it was apparently linked to a 22mm copper pipe and I am told asbestos had long gone when these pipes were introduced.

The pipes were installed in 2008 again too late for asbestos.

A gent who has over 30 years experience with pipes says it isn't.

It is self encased and looks modern. It is not broken up or disturbed in any way.

Thanks for help.

JamesEB

Out of interest who is the national company ?,not going to make negative comments about them.
The diy test kit company (as long as they are UKAS) will be acceptable. To back up where the sample has been taken from take a few clear before & after photos,show the room also show the method you remove the sample and make sure your using the supplied PPE in the photos.
Have used this company in the past maybe they are still around https://www.bradley-enviro.co.uk/services/asbestos-consultants/asbestos-self-sampling-kits
I would have it tested if only for peace of mind,

I think the company concerned would not accept a DIY result.

You don't do the test yourself!
You scrape a bit off, seal it in one of their bags and then send it to the firm for analysis.

The results are accredited and acceptable to all.

Anyway, a test will be about £50. Might be a bit more in London.

Get the cost knocked off their bill if they are wrong.

Thanks everybody.

I haven't named the national company as I don't want to make it public.

I do want to take it somewhere and have it tested and if someone can please tell me of a properly regulated testing firm that is not overly expensive and gives quick results in the area of Croydon where I live that would help.

There was no method to remove it, it was just lifted off.

I don't have the facility to take photos.

It would help my discussions if someone would tell me an approximate cost of a clean air certificate for a small loft if needed.

Thanks for help
JamesEB

Last edited:
I am asking if anyone can help me with a reply to my last message please.

JamesEB

It would help my discussions if someone would tell me an approximate cost of a clean air certificate for a small loft if needed

You won't get a certificate for a loft area - the presence of too many fibres (insulation) makes it impossible.

I do want to take it somewhere and have it tested
You don't turn up with a large piece of material and ask for it to be tested. A small sample is taken, sent off and you will receive a analysis of the sample.

sSs_061709_lander_b[1].jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back