Asbestos test and clean air certificate

You won't get a certificate for a loft area - the presence of too many fibres (insulation) makes it impossible.

You don't turn up with a large piece of material and ask for it to be tested. A small sample is taken, sent off and you will receive a analysis of the sample.

The company have stopped work and say they will not return until I provide a clean air certificate. Is it possible to have the loft air tested for asbestos?

I am an infirm 76 years old pensioner and am not competent to take a sample from the “asbestos” to send in.

Some firms do accept material taken in (including the one above).

Others require the applicant for a test kit in the post have to first confirm in writing that they are trained in taking asbestos samples.

It is only a small piece of loose material and no sense in the expense of the alternative of someone coming out to the property to test it.

I have to take it in.

I have spoken to UKAS about this.

Thanks for help
JamesEB

Sponsored Links
Does your loft have insulation?

This is one of life’s little mysteries.

Only a few weeks ago I had it all done brand new. I had new floor insulation, new grey pipe insulation, new jackets and new floors. I am not able to get in the loft but others who have seen it say it is an excellent job. It is inexplicable that this piece of “asbestos” has now been found up there.

I contacted the installers and asked why they left a piece of “asbestos” in the loft and did not tell me and they insist they were not aware of any asbestos there.

I previously had this all done brand new in 2008 but had a flood so had to have it done again.

Thanks for help
JamesEB

Last edited:
I'll agree with comment #3 regarding method statement and air test. I agree with comment #4 as to the actual material - undercloak, what is the age of your property? Newer than 1970's then it will be either mineral fibre or vermiculite based material neither of which contains asbestos.

Appreciate your concern and difficulty, do you have a neighbour or family who can help?
If you can ask and they are willing to help then buy them a disposable overall and a suitable dust mask, some 'Cling Film' and a thick plastic bag, Oh and they need some 'diesel' gloves from a garage. Once they are attired in that protection they can go into your loft wrap the sheet of white 'stuff' in the cling film, twice, put it the plastic bag and take out of the loft.
Once that is done you can make your arrangements for the test if necessary.

What work is the 'national company' doing for you? I'm sorry but they do rather sound like 'Rip-Off' merchants. It also reads like they do not want the work.
Can you not terminate the contract or otherwise get rid of them. Find a good quality local small time builder to do the job that you think is necessary.

Thanks.

The property was built in 1977.

The piece of material just found was on a 22mm copper pipe.

I do not have anyone to help.

There are UKAS companies where I can take it. It isn't easy getting there but I am making arrangements.

I would rather not say what the work is as it would identify the company which I do not want to do publicly. They have anyway stopped work and I am looking at others.

Thanks for help
JamesEB

Sponsored Links
A large national company has found what they say is a piece of asbestos in my home although surrounding facts suggest it cannot be. It is white and about 3 ft by 6 inches. They say they will not work here without it is tested and I provide a clean air certificate for the area in which it was found.

I know nothing about this and the prices quoted on the web are mind boggling.

Can someone please tell me how to get it tested at a reasonable price and how to go about a clean air certificate

JamesEB
It sounds to me like your contractor smells money - and LOTS of it.

I used www.test4asbestos.com. I recall that you have to send them a very small piece, possibly double bagged, in a ziplock bag, inside a jiffy padded envelope, there may be health and safety instructions for you to observe for your own safety but it was a pretty painless exercise. Unsurprisingly, there are some eye watering prices out there for testing/collecting pieces for analysis but test4asbestos prices are very reasonable with a quick turnaround and they issue a cert with the result.

Last edited:
Thanks but as I mentioned above I am not competent to take a sample from the material.
JamesEB

Thanks but as I mentioned above I am not competent to take a sample from the material.
JamesEGo to the site, follow the instructions.

Show a little confidence, don't let the expensive jokers put the fear into you too early.

Go to the website, see what instructions are given.

Remember, if the man in the street couldn't do it these cheap online analysis sites would be illegal and shut down. But they do exist, legally.

Last edited:
Show a little confidence, don't let the expensive jokers put the fear into you too early.

Go to the website, see what instructions are given.

Remember, if the man in the street couldn't do it these cheap online analysis sites wouldn't exist. But they do exist.

I am not the man in the street.

I have said I am an infirm 76 years old pensioner.

JamesEB

Here's what you do.

You get a compnay out to test the material. Out the phone book or online somewhere. Get quotes.
By the sound of it, if it is positive it can only be low content asbestos cement pipe. Low content, low risk.

If negative all is well

If positive, then if low content anyone can remove it - its bagged and disposed of according to HSE guidance. But if your contractor is not willing to do that, then you empoy a "Licenced Asbestos Removal Contractor".

They will remove it at a fixed cost (get quotes once you have the test results, it wll be based on material and quantity). You wont need an air test, and the HSE guides state this explicitly. Tell your "national contractor" this.

Or you can skip the test and just go straight to the removal. Again no air test will be necessary and you will get a removal certificate to show your "national contractor". That will be enough for them to carry on.

Have you asked to see your "national contractor's" risk and method statements? You need to read the previous posts and heed them. Their risk and method statements will describe how they must work. And it will include not asking for unecessary air tests.

The asbestos is Amasite brown asbestos.

JamesEB

Last edited:
It's it a piece just lying there or is it fixed to something?

How big is the piece?

Why does this read like a scam?
The 'large national company' worker planting a peice of material to cause additional work and cost for the owner of the property... Or is it just my suspicous mind...?

The 'large national company' worker planting a peice of material to cause additional work and cost for the owner of the property

There has never been the slightest suggestion of this.

JamesEB

Larger companies do tend keep an eye on their reputation...

Who has confirmed that the material is asbestos? Did you send off a small piece for an independent analysis?

Is it just sitting, loose on top of the pipe, or wrapped around the pipe as lagging/insulation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back