Asbestos test and clean air certificate

The legislation referred to above applies to H&S at work.

If you have removed the material yourself, then it is of no concern to any new company, or in fact the previous company.

Sponsored Links
I think the OP is getting unnecessarily alarmed by procedures for removal of pipe lagging. The reason pipe lagging is treated more strictly is that it often contains blue asbestos, the most hazardous, and it has to be cut and broken to remove it from the pipes so there is considerable fibre release.

A single length of loose pipe with brown asbestos "lagging" which is still intact and in good condition and disposed of properly is a low risk operation.

Still a rather bizarre thing to find in a house though. Well done to the person who first spotted it, they were obviously paying attention during their asbestos awareness training.

Not trying to scare monger, but it's important to know what kind of asbestos you are dealing with. I see all too often on these forums advice along the lines of "wear a mask, bag it up and take it to the tip", which is often wholly inappropriate given the type of asbestos in question (and which is often AIB panels in integrated garage ceilings etc)

I reckon the contractors are quite within their rights to refuse to enter a loft space that is potentially contaminated with brown asbestos lagging debris, but that's between the OP and the contractors...

"wear a mask, bag it up and take it to the tip", which is often wholly inappropriate given the type of asbestos in question (and which is often AIB panels in integrated garage ceilings etc)

Well, that's the HSE's advice. What higher authority is there for more appropriate advice are you thinking of?

Sponsored Links
These large companies like british gas and british telecom have had to invest a lot of money
on health and safety procedures and they are going to use them to the last detail because they have to cover themselves from any possible claims.

Well, that's the HSE's advice. What higher authority is there for more appropriate advice are you thinking of?

It is their advice where work is carried out on low risk ACMs (ie removal of asbestos cement, artex, short duration and managed work on AIB etc) On the HSE website, they class "removal or other work that may disturb pipe lagging" as notifiable work, so in this instance, the HSE guidance is to use a licensed asbestos removal contractor where removal of pipe lagging is concerned. There's no two ways about it, the use of amosite asbestos in the UK throughout the 50's, 60's and 70's is responsible for the high instances of mesothelioma in this country hence why it is so tightly controlled. Yet we still see advice that advocates the removal of such material utilising inappropriate methods. HSE guidance does not cover the removal of pipe lagging as far as I can tell. As per my previous post, not wishing to scare monger, but there is simply no safe way to remove lagging unless you are a licensed contractor notifying the HSE.

As per my previous post, not wishing to scare monger, but there is simply no safe way to remove lagging unless you are a licensed contractor notifying the HSE.

That is what the link below in my previous post said

"Warning!
Do not attempt to work on this material under any circumstances unless you are a HSE-licensed contractor."

http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/essentials/lagging.htm

JamesEB

The legislation referred to above applies to H&S at work.

So who is correct please woody or scott1980?

JamesEB

After this I'm done with this thread. I've highlighted a few key words, and you'll see that there is a bit of a theme goiong on

www.gov.uk/government/organisations/health-and-safety-executive

"The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is the national independent watchdog for work-related health, safety and illness. It acts in the public interest to reduce work-related death and serious injury across Great Britain’s workplaces."

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/632/regulation/3/made

The Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012

3.—(1) These Regulations apply to a self-employed person as they apply to an employer and an employee and as if that self-employed person were both an employer and an employee.

(2) Regulations 9 (notification of work with asbestos), 18(1)(a) (designated areas) and 22 (health records and medical surveillance) do not apply where—

(a)the exposure to asbestos of employees is sporadic and of low intensity; and

(b)it is clear from the risk assessment that the exposure to asbestos of any employee will not exceed the control limit; and

(c)the work involves—

(i)short, non-continuous maintenance activities in which only non-friable materials are handled, or

(ii)removal without deterioration of non-degraded materials in which the asbestos fibres are firmly linked in a matrix, or

(iii)encapsulation or sealing of asbestos-containing materials which are in good condition, or

(iv)air monitoring and control, and the collection and analysis of samples to ascertain whether a specific material contains asbestos.

(3) Where a duty is placed by these Regulations on an employer in respect of employees of that employer, the employer is, so far as is reasonably practicable, under a like duty in respect of any other person, whether at work or not, who may be affected by the work activity carried out by that employer except that the duties of the employer

I know you've done with this thread, but I think you're missing the point. Does the fact that it is the homeowner doing the removing mean that is now a completely safe practice and less dangerous than if it were the contractor removing the same material? Of course not. OP, I suggest you contact the HSE or a local asbestos remediation contractor for some professional advice. I suspect you'll find that you'd be advised to leave it well alone...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back