Asbestos tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have just taken my laminate floor up ready to have LVT put down by a fitter. Hoping it would be concrete subfloor, I’ve come across these tiles.

Would you think these have asbestos in them? The house is a 1970’s build. If so, what do you recommend as the floor needs screeding?

Can they lay LVT over these tiles or do they have to come up?

Many thanks for your help

IMG_0736.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Need to come up then a moisture test taken to see if that floor has a damp proof membrane under it. If ok then you need a coat of smoothing compound like ardex na , fball 1200 pro , Tilemaster pro flow

Many thanks. If I were to lift these tiles up myself, would that do any harm? I’d have to try and cause as little disturbance as possible to the tiles!

Thermoplastic tiles may have asbestos in but it’s tightly bound so about the lowest risk of all asbestos. Get them tested, but if they do have asbestos in it’s likely to be crysotile and you can safely remove them yourself. Just don’t drill or sand them and wet them down to catch any dust you create.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can take them up ok. Mop the floor so keep the dust down and try take them up in one. Double bag them and then ring the council up to pick them up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back