Flooring height issue

Volume of SLC and speed. Real parquet in generally 30 to 50mm thick. SLC generally can't be laid that thick in a single coat.
OK, so you would use what thickness of plywood over the bitumen?

How do you affix to the subfloor?

Then can you self level over the ply?

Sponsored Links
Work it out. How thick can the SLC you chose be laid? Subtract that thickness from the thickness of the parquet (once you've lifted a piece) and that will give you the minimum thickness of plywood you need.

Plywood just gets screwed down - timber sub-floor direct, concrete sub-floor 7mm holes, brown plugs and 5mm screws. Same as many other fixing jobs

Work it out. How thick can the SLC you chose be laid? Subtract that thickness from the thickness of the parquet (once you've lifted a piece) and that will give you the minimum thickness of plywood you need.

Plywood just gets screwed down - timber sub-floor direct, concrete sub-floor 7mm holes, brown plugs and 5mm screws. Same as many other fixing jobs

That's what I guessed, how many screws per board would be sufficient for a concrete sub floor?

Sponsored Links
I'd probably screw down on 150 to 200mm centres with 18mm board
Thanks so much, apologies for all the questions. What might seen obvious to you is not to me! :D

Just out of curiosity are you the chap that does a podcast on tiktok?

I'll answer that by asking what is Tik-Tok? :confused:

Or, no

Rather than going down the plywood route, can I not just use sand and cement screed where the parquet has been removed, then self leveller over that?

Last edited:
I think I'd leave that to the flooring guys to answer, but personally I've never had a lot of joy with really thin (sub-50mm) screed layers. They always seem prone to cracking

So why can’t you just use flexible SLC (which can go wood) to bring the level up and carry on with your new flooring.

You may need to lob a coat of ‘primer g’ On first.

I’ve used mapei flexible, which was a couple of mm to around 20mm slope.

I think I'd leave that to the flooring guys to answer, but personally I've never had a lot of joy with really thin (sub-50mm) screed layers. They always seem prone to cracking
Fair comment to make, I have read that perhaps adding a SBR slurry mix to the bitumen, then screeding in sand/cement can solve that issue. I was thinking of bringing the level up quite a bit by using this, then just self leveller above.

So why can’t you just use flexible SLC (which can go wood) to bring the level up and carry on with your new flooring.

You may need to lob a coat of ‘primer g’ On first.

I’ve used mapei flexible, which was a couple of mm to around 20mm slope.

Yeah one of the options if ply, then self leveller. But if it's going up 50mm for instance, using 18mm ply still leaves 32mm of self leveller, which is very expensive on a 3m x 3m floor.

Kevin there is an old saying, If it ain't broke don't fix it!

It is broke though :D It's the wrong height, I cant lay tile or LVT over it. Also the floor on the dining room extension and kitchen is different. Plus the floor has been damaged in several places.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back