Asylum seekers accommodation - Did I hear these numbers correctly?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
There’s a place we sometimes go to walk our dogs on the beach, Mersea Island, that imported some Red squirrels about 10 years ago. Hardly any grey ones there now and if they see any, they are trapped and released on the mainland.

There’s a place we sometimes go to walk our dogs on the beach, Mersea Island, that imported some Red squirrels about 10 years ago. Hardly any grey ones there now and if they see any, they are trapped and released on the mainland.
Really? I thought it was illegal to release a grey after it had been caught. Or are they released into a nice orchard in the countryside where there's lots of things for them to play with...?

Yes, it is illegal to release a trapped grey. You can shoot them and eat them though, but one needs to be cautious as to when you do that, as they are routinely poisoned.

Really? I thought it was illegal to release a grey after it had been caught. Or are they released into a nice orchard in the countryside where there's lots of things for them to play with...?
I think it’s all agreed in a programme to reintroduce reds to Mersea. A friend of my wife is a wildlife nut and dragged my wife and another friend to a red squirrel talk a year or so ago. Bored the tits off of them and they got the giggles. Had to leave early!

Edit: You’re probably right - they must catch 'em and kill 'em then. Looks like they swim over from the mainland. http://merseawildlife.blogspot.com/2018/06/grey-invader.html

Last edited:

That explains what a friend living there keeps posting pictures of red squirrels on Facebook.

in fact we have so little farm land we produce less than half the calories we consume.

The UK is stupidly overcrowded and the last thing we need is more people.

The UK grows 61% of the food it eats, according to the National Farming Union (NFU),Tim Lang, Professor of Food Policy at City, University of London, and DEFRA’s Agriculture in the UK paper (July 2017).

The UK grows 61% of the food it eats, according to the National Farming Union (NFU),Tim Lang, Professor of Food Policy at City, University of London, and DEFRA’s Agriculture in the UK paper (July 2017).

Maybe food doesn't equal calories? No idea about the figures TBF.

Sponsored Links
Back