Asylum seekers accommodation - Did I hear these numbers correctly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I heard on the telly about an hour ago that we are paying for the accommodation of 60,000 asylum seekers while they wait for the outcome of their application - it was in an article about the possibility of housing them in ferries off the coast.

If the U.K. can house these people, why do we have so many U.K. residents that are homeless - where’s the accommodation for them? Are the asylum seekers pushing them out like grey squirrels have done to our native red squirrel?

Sponsored Links
Why do we have so many UK homeless......Tory policy, you voted for it, so I guess you approve

I heard on the telly about an hour ago that we are paying for the accommodation of 60,000 asylum seekers while they wait for the outcome of their application - it was in an article about the possibility of housing them in ferries off the coast.

If the U.K. can house these people, why do we have so many U.K. residents that are homeless - where’s the accommodation for them? Are the asylum seekers pushing them out like grey squirrels have done to our native red squirrel?
We choose not to. Or at least we did before Covid-19. Last I heard we had found accomodation for all homeless people but I don't know how long the funding was form

why do we have so many U.K. residents that are homeless

Homelessness is rarely because accommodation and help cannot be found, there are usually mental health issues. For a while we've had a guy camping in our local park, he has been offered accommodation several times, but he doesn't want to live in a bedsit, he wants to be out. Guess he might soon change his mind as the weather is turning.

Homelessness has increased loads where I live in the last 10 years. Lack of funds for social care, no help for people with depression and other debilitating mental health issues, means more people end up homeless.

Housing asylum seekers on ferries seems like a good option at the moment. Keeps the ferries in business, keeps the asylum seekers off our shores (which pleases some Brits) and means they can't jump ship in the night and become illegal immigrants. It is our duty to aid them, afterall.

Sponsored Links
We choose not to. Or at least we did before Covid-19. Last I heard we had found accomodation for all homeless people but I don't know how long the funding was form
housing for the homless was relatively easy as they used accommodation normally used for secondary use like dormitories hotels guest houses and the like unused because off lockdown

I would go for the oil rig solution

house em on the oil rigs ;)

Housing asylum seekers on ferries seems like a good option at the moment. Keeps the ferries in business, keeps the asylum seekers off our shores (which pleases some Brits) and means they can't jump ship in the night and become illegal immigrants. It is our duty to aid them, afterall.
Interesting situation. Most of them got here by small boats. How long do you think the life rafts will remain secure on those ferries?

Homelessness is rarely because accommodation and help cannot be found, there are usually mental health issues. For a while we've had a guy camping in our local park, he has been offered accommodation several times, but he doesn't want to live in a bedsit, he wants to be out. Guess he might soon change his mind as the weather is turning.

Homelessness has increased loads where I live in the last 10 years. Lack of funds for social care, no help for people with depression and other debilitating mental health issues, means more people end up homeless.
To an extent yes. The longer someone is homeless, the more conditioned to it they become. Lack of mental health certainly doesn't help.

We've a homeless chap at the moment hanging around the church behind the house. Chatted to him nearly every day while out - he's in temporary accommodation, given to him because of covid but he admitted he'd rather be back on the streets, as well as no medical or mental health based here. He was housed 60 miles away from where he was living on the streets and doesn't know the area. A very posh sounding chap, in his early 60's and he admitted he lost everything, home, job, partner due to mental issues.

Are the asylum seekers pushing them out like grey squirrels have done to our native red squirrel?
Common myth btw - reds we took away their habitat and food source, by tearing down the trees of which the fruit they will eat. Reds have a much more select diet than greys. Greys eat anything and are much better at survival. Greys didn't push em out, they just happen to be better at this living lark. We also treated reds like a pest, they were culled to the brink of extinction in the UK....

To an extent yes. The longer someone is homeless, the more conditioned to it they become. Lack of mental health certainly doesn't help.

We've a homeless chap at the moment hanging around the church behind the house. Chatted to him nearly every day while out - he's in temporary accommodation, given to him because of covid but he admitted he'd rather be back on the streets, as well as no medical or mental health based here. He was housed 60 miles away from where he was living on the streets and doesn't know the area. A very posh sounding chap, in his early 60's and he admitted he lost everything, home, job, partner due to mental issues.
He would be better looked after if he committed a serious crime.

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN01403/SN01403.pdf

Thats the official stats for Asylum seekers. Turn of the Gammon blinkers. :mrgreen:

Yep, this should quieten those that keep saying they all want to come to the UK:

"In 2019, there were around 5 asylum applications for every 10,000 people resident in the UK. Across the EU28 there were 14 asylum applications for every 10,000 people. The UK was therefore below the average among EU countries for asylum applications per head of population, ranking 17th among EU28 countries on this measure."

Sponsored Links
Back