Asylum seekers accommodation - Did I hear these numbers correctly?

What about numbers per square mile ? Its space that's needed to accommodate more people, the UK is full.

We live on about 3% of the land. More Priti Pythogoras maths.

Yep, full to bursting, also likely why we have a higher covid rate, overcrowded cities.

we need the rest of the land to produce food, in fact we have so little farm land we produce less than half the calories we consume.

The UKs land and seas is only capable of supporting about 20 million people in a long term sustainable manner
https://www.footprintnetwork.org/our-work/ecological-footprint/

The UK is stupidly overcrowded and the last thing we need is more people.

Only 6% of the UK is developed.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Why the Fudge should any human be thinking "I tell you what ; we could fit even more people here!" anywhere on this planet.

And I say this with my own degree of guilt, because although I am not imho wasteful or profligate, I'm sure I'm not making the planet better for my being here.

Sponsored Links
The quote is from a study cited by the BEEB entitled, 'Can UK feed itself?', or some such.

No reason to doubt your figures, I'm sure I've heard the ~60:40% split quoted before, whether the 40% could be supplied by non EU countries, if need arose, I have no idea. But there will be plenty of supply chain experts on GD to inform me, along with the surfeit of statisticians, lawyers, virologists, epidemiologists and anthropologists. You have to agree impressive for a mere DIY site.

Sponsored Links
The UK grows 61% of the food it eats, according to the National Farming Union (NFU),Tim Lang, Professor of Food Policy at City, University of London, and DEFRA’s Agriculture in the UK paper (July 2017).
Its a very complex subject with vast amounts of imports and exports and I'm sure the data can be presented to show a wide variety of figures - here's one that suggest we import 80% of our food
https://www.businessinsider.com/no-...tish-food-imported-shortages-2019-1?r=US&IR=T

I doubt anyone will have an exact figure but even if we went wth DEFRAs own 60% that is still a very very low level of our capacity to feed ourselves. And that is before we take into account the unsustainable way we now farm.

For me any country should be capable of self sufficiency, yes of course we need to import food to create great variety in what we eat, but that should be balanced by what we export.

All those in favour of further migrants coming to the UK
And have a spare room should be prepared to put them. Up and take some responsibility

Put up or shut up. U can cough up financially as well ;)

And take responsability for any criminal acts that said persons commit.

If they do a runner u can serve the sentence

Any takers

Rhetorical question :LOL:

All those in favour of further migrants coming to the UK
And have a spare room should be prepared to put them. Up and take some responsibility

Put up or shut up. U can cough up financially as well ;)

And take responsability for any criminal acts that said persons commit.

If they do a runner u can serve the sentence

Any takers

Rhetorical question :LOL:

Can we not be a civil country and offer a safe place for those in dire need? (not talking about chancers).

Mind u transam has a spare room ;)

Under certain circumstances transam could move his 1971 Norton ;)

Its a very complex subject with vast amounts of imports and exports and I'm sure the data can be presented to show a wide variety of figures - here's one that suggest we import 80% of our food
https://www.businessinsider.com/no-...tish-food-imported-shortages-2019-1?r=US&IR=T

I doubt anyone will have an exact figure but even if we went wth DEFRAs own 60% that is still a very very low level of our capacity to feed ourselves. And that is before we take into account the unsustainable way we now farm.

For me any country should be capable of self sufficiency, yes of course we need to import food to create great variety in what we eat, but that should be balanced by what we export.

Doesn't help when Land's end is further north than any part of say the lower 48 states of the USA.

growth may be falling but the total population is stll rising by about 400,000 per year (another city the size of manchester every year) thats a lot of people
Yes it is, agree.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/bulletins/migrationstatisticsquarterlyreport/may2020#:~:text=An estimated 270,000 more people,left the UK (emigration).

"In the year ending December 2019, long-term international migration continued to add to the UK population. An estimated 270,000 more people moved to the UK with an intention to stay for 12 months or more than left the UK (net migration). Over the year, 677,000 people moved to the UK (immigration) and 407,000 people left the UK (emigration)."

Estimated. Why don't the gov know?!

Room for a few:

PeakDistrictNationalPark,ChatsworthHouseandGardens,andBakewellDayTripfromManchester.webp

Sponsored Links
Back