'At risk' due to proximity of gas pipes and electrics: Who's responsibility?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi; not quite sure which forum to post this, so Admin please move if deemed necessary.
Anyway a friend is in a panic as she's just had this 'Danger Do Not Use' notice slapped on her by an engineer at her flat, where I believe he was due to install a smart meter: She doesn't know what to do next. 'Gas meter is less than 150mm from electric switches' and 'gas pipe less than 25mm from electric cables'. It's been left 'At risk and not turned off'.
Is this spacing between services a recent requirment? If not, who's responsibility would it be to ensure it was correct, or to put it right, and Is it down to her to pay for it to be corrected? I haven't seen the site, but I'm guessing it'll be easier to shuffle the electrics out of the way.
Thanks!
Phil

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-05-23 at 19.00.41.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-05-23 at 19.00.41.jpeg
    444.1 KB · Views: 194
Sponsored Links
BS6891-2005

8.16.2 Separation of installation pipework from other services

Where installation pipes are not separated by electrical insulating material, they shall be spaced as follows:

a) at least 150 mm away from electricity meters and associated excess current controls, electrical switches or sockets, distribution boards or consumer units;
b) at least 25mm away from electricity supply and distribution cables.

I am neither a plumber nor an electrician, but if the gas pipe can have some kind of electrical insulating material fitted. I wonder if that would be sufficient.

I also wonder if you could just screw a sheet of something non conductive between the two supplies. Eg if they were both in a cupboard, would a full height/depth divider suffice?

At risk of what?
Over zealous idiot meter fitter.
He is correct about clearances, however suppliers will just pass the buck from to the other if you complain to them, so nothing will happen.
Also, turning the gas off will not remove the supposed danger, so he's wrong.
Get complaining, and get the supply reinstated.
It's Not to Current Standards, end of, in my opinion.

Sponsored Links
At risk of what?
Over zealous idiot meter fitter.
He is correct about clearances, however suppliers will just pass the buck from to the other if you complain to them, so nothing will happen.
Also, turning the gas off will not remove the supposed danger, so he's wrong.
Get complaining, and get the supply reinstated.
It's Not to Current Standards, end of, in my opinion.

Hi; not quite sure which forum to post this, so Admin please move if deemed necessary.
Anyway a friend is in a panic as she's just had this 'Danger Do Not Use' notice slapped on her by an engineer at her flat, where I believe he was due to install a smart meter: She doesn't know what to do next. 'Gas meter is less than 150mm from electric switches' and 'gas pipe less than 25mm from electric cables'. It's been left 'At risk and not turned off'.
Is this spacing between services a recent requirment? If not, who's responsibility would it be to ensure it was correct, or to put it right, and Is it down to her to pay for it to be corrected? I haven't seen the site, but I'm guessing it'll be easier to shuffle the electrics out of the way.
Thanks!
Phil

Spot on, KG, NCS only.

Although killing the gas supply would make a difference, as there would be no gas (fuel) in the event of a rupture caused by a flashover or short circuit. ( I know - I have never heard of an instance where this was an issue).Many 70/80's homes have the meters pushed together in a hallway cupboard.

The meter fitter was probably looking for a reason not to proceed,.

OP; tell, your friend to relax, this is a VERY common situation, and it is deemed acceptable to introduce an insulant (PVC tape or a plastic board) to the gas pipe or between the elecs and gas, or just move on with life.

The 150mm applies between the gas pipe and METER. It does not apply to incoming cables etc. The 25mmis is required between everything else, switches, wires and cables.

Why is your freind having a SM fitted? Unless she has selected a tariff reliant upon a SM she does not need one

Thanks guys, that's really helpful. I'll copy your replies to my friend who I'm sure will feel relieved that it's not such a big deal. I might pop over armed with some PVC tape and have a look myself.

Thanks guys, that's really helpful. I'll copy your replies to my friend who I'm sure will feel relieved that it's not such a big deal. I might pop over armed with some PVC tape and have a look myself.
do not use pvc tape on the stainless steel anaconda on gas meter inlet , it reacts with it

do not use pvc tape on the stainless steel anaconda on gas meter inlet , it reacts with it

I didn’t know that!

Is it the tape or glue that reacts?

What about Gas 0n!/Off tape?
Although that may not be PVC?

Sleeves shall be of a material capable of containing or distributing gas, e.g. copper, steel, polyethylene, or other suitable plastic material.
Care should be taken to ensure that PVC does not come into contact with stainless steel owing to the risk of corrosion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back