ATTACHING A NEW TOILET TO EXISTING SOIL PIPE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just placed our new toilet next to the existing one and realised that the current soil pipe sticks much further out into the bathroom than we need to attach it to our new toilet. :confused:

Can anyone please advise what our next step is! It is not a Upvc pipe but the original metal pipe.

Thank you, thank you!! :eek:

Sponsored Links
is it a cast-iron pipe that you need to cut?

Sponsored Links
:confused: i thought 1970's was plastic.

I don't know how to cut cast iron pipes, but someone else will.

Angle grinder if it is a cast pipe, hacksaw if its lead.

A McAlpine flexi pan connector should slot inside the pipe and give you an easy connection to your new toilet. They are about £15 tho depending on the length

If you can get at it, a hacksaw will usually cope with a cast iron pipe, and make less mess than an angle grinder.
The saw frame needs to be deep enough to clear the pipe. A 12" bow saw frame with a 18TPI hacksaw blade should do it.....

.....Oh - and a very large tub of elbow grease....

if you are brave you can cut through the cast iron with a hacksaw just deep enough to have the whole blade through, this sould have a cut of about 3-4" across the top then give the pipe a mighty dunt with a decent weight hammer the pipe will shear right off, don't use an angle grinder the fire risk is too high

A hacksaw..! you'll be there all day. Angle grinder every time. If you've not played with these before I wouldn't smack it with a hammer - you could do without destroying it. Kirkgas is right to be careful about fire though... and eyes... and ears... But just be careful and protect everything (including yourself) and you'll be fine. Oh yeah, shut the door and open the window 'cos it might be a teeny bit messy...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back