Attaching existing rafters to timer beam.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to attach 4 of my existing rafters to the double piece of timer you can see in the picture below.
Obviously the existing joists I can attach with a hanger but I need to attach the rafters also. The existing rafters have a layboard on them with some weight coming from them. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_2403.JPG
    IMG_2403.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 325
Sponsored Links
I'm still not getting why a steel was not positioned directly beneath the wall plate and then the wall plate bolted to the steel. Why the faff with the timber along side? The rafter thrust is down on the existing wall plate.

I'm still not getting why a steel was not positioned directly beneath the wall plate and then the wall plate bolted to the steel. Why the faff with the timber along side? The rafter thrust is down on the existing wall plate.

I did something similar in a previous house because it was the only way to keep the beam above ceiling level. It was a right faff.

Sponsored Links
Thanks noseall. Garyo obviously had the same issue. I didn't want a drop in the ceiling .
I'll use 100mm hangers then - and extend/alter the angle slightly of the rafters using 4x2 bolted with 12mm coach bolts? Thant sound about right?

Shame you have to extend the rafters.. I got away with using the rafters existing seat cuts.

Your need to think about beam rotation too, depending on how far away from the web your rafters are sat.

Sorry Garyo I'm a bit confused ? How do you mean beam ratio?
Did you use the seats of the rafters and cut them to join the beam ?

For rotation, read restraint. Ensuring a downward thrust and not something that will push it sideways or rotate it. Being in the roof you have fewer easy options for embedding in to walls etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back