Attaching ledger board with Through Bolts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have been given quite a few steel M12 x 125 mm through bolts. I need to attached a decking ledger board to my house to partly hang decking from.

Is a through bolt going to be strong enough to hold the board tight to the wall in the brick? I presume, even though its called a Through Bolts it doesn't necessarily have to go through the both the wood and brick?

I also have 110 mm self tapping bolt so will be using those for some extra strength.

I very much appreciate the help :)

Sponsored Links
Nr 10 screw's will hold a timber for this function, so bolts won't be a problem.

As long as they can be tightened. I'm not sure if your through bolts are my expansive bolts with an expanding wedge?

Sponsored Links
If you over tighten these they will crack a brick in half, gently does it. I would use a large washer between the head and the wood, as you might have to open up the holes in the wood if they do not exactly align with the holes in the brickwork.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back