Chemical fixing/reinforcing an existing ledger board.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to add some extra support to an existing ledger board.
If it was a new one it'd be a case of drilling through, removing, expanding the hole in the brick for the chemical fixing and putting the ledger back in place for a nice tight bolt fit.

As it is the ledger can't be moved and it's fitting to very soft brick, so I can't use an expanding through-bolt, which would be a nice easy solution.

So the Q is this, as I have to drill through both ledger and wall together, is there any propriority sleeving available for the bolt in the wood (as the hole in the wood will be a few mm larger than it should be), which will ensure a tight fit?

Any pointers appreciated.

Sponsored Links
it does not have to be tight in the wood. The steel washer under the bolt head will squeeze it to the wall. The washer must be noticably bigger than the hole. You can get stainless penny washers if it is outdoors.

Thanks - the ledger is actually off by a few degrees with joists in situ The ceiling has dragged it out and down slightly over the course of a hundred years or so, so there's no give - it can't be clamped any tighter to the wall and is currently held up by some bent steel brackets.
I want to prevent any further twist and strengthen the load capability as the loft will be used for storage - hence the desire for a tight fit really.

It'll probably be M16 threaded bolt and appropriate square washers.
Thanks for the input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back