Attaching network backbox to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
I have Cat6 cable running from my cable router downstairs to the study upstairs and I need to fit a mounting box at each end. The wall in the upstairs study is plaster on brick and there's a gap in the plaster just above the skirting board where the cable comes through:

network1.jpg

The network backbox I've got is plastic and I'm not sure about the best way to fix it to the wall:

network3.jpg

I was thinking of cutting a suitably sized hole in the plaster and then screwing this to the brick - so the face plate would be not far off flush with the wall. But I'm sure I've read somewhere that back boxes sunk into the wall should be metal...?

Is that true? Or would it be OK?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That will look terrible. Just surface mount it - or

if you want it flush fitting then use a metal back box.

OK...guess that means I'll have to fill the hole with plaster, as the screw mountings aren't going to have much to go into otherwise

Sponsored Links
Plenty of wall to screw to! This is the simplest of jobs being over complicated.

Must admit thats what I did with my cat 5s to the PVRs, not in view though and wouldn't do it for a customer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back