Attaching old tiles with no nibs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our 100-year-old tiled roof has no underfelt and a few tiles are starting to slip, so I guess it's time to re-roof with new breathable felt and battens, using as many original tiles as possible to avoid losing its character.
The old tiles seem generally sound; they have two holes, but they have no nibs on the back. It's hard to see how they are attached by looking from inside the loft, or even take a photo, as a flat roof extension makes access very difficult - but from a distance it almost looks as if they are attached by something like split pins, though I may be completely wrong.
Could someone please explain exactly how plain tiles were normally fixed in place at that time?
Will a roofer need to alter his technique in any way to comply with current building regs for ventilation and so on?
Many thanks for your advice,
Alec.

Sponsored Links
They are peg tiles.
They used to hang on split wooden pegs. These often fell out over time . These days we tend to used aluminium or copper or less often stainless steel. Just pop one in the hole and hang .
Courses can be nailed bit will require two nails

Thanks - that's really helpful. I'll make sure the roofer uses the right material here. As you say, nailing each tile is another solution but - as the tiles are not automatically located by the nibs - I can imagine the visual effect could be a little uneven unless he's a real perfectionist and uses a temporary strip below them.

PXL_20211116_110412814.jpg Peg tiles are by nature uneven.
They are not meant to look like machine made tiles.
We currently have a church project underway, I'll take and post a few images that might be useful .

Sponsored Links
Yes, please do - that would be really helpful. It's a pity Ringwood is so far from Midhurst...
Many thanks, Alec.

Ringwood, is office address.

We are new forest based but not confined to it.
We've done plenty not far from you .
Boxgrove priory church is one of ours (peg tiles too )Arundel Cathedral ..slate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back