Attaching Studwork To Thermalite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m boxing in a toilet and basin and using 38x63 timber from Wickes. Problem I have is I’m attaching about 2metres worth along the rear wall and working out how to securely attach it to the thermalite brickwork. I was thinking of using some solid rawl plugs with coach screws
? There is already some attached with nails and seems pretty solid but wondered what is the best fixing to use inside thermalite blocks as a 5mm hole usually ends up in a 10mm one.

Sponsored Links
I've sometimes gone for a heavy bead of Gripfil on the timber plus a good few 90mm nails (from a nail gun) put in at alternating angles going up the timber. This does require a good few nails but it will give a reasonsble fix especially if the upright is cut to be a tight fit betwixt floor and ceiling

I've sometimes gone for a heavy bead of Gripfil on the timber plus a good few 90mm nails (from a nail gun) put in at alternating angles going up the timber. This does require a good few nails but it will give a reasonsble fix especially if the upright is cut to be a tight fit betwixt floor and ceiling

I have no nail gun unfortunately but looks like the nails have done a good job on the old stud work. I was thinking of using these

https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-aerated-concrete-anchors/p64931

and then some good quality coach screws all along the horizontal section of the stud work. It‘S not going to carry loads of weight as I’m planning on using abacus elements board for the bathroom which is lighter than plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - they seem pretty good on the reviews... I will prob go for those in 10mm with a coach screw going through the wood and into the anchor. Will grip fill it as well for extra strength.

Pilot 3mm into thermalite. Use concrete screw same as used in DG.

Sometimes depending on how dense the thermalite is a normal wood screw is good enough to pull tight.

Pilot 3mm into thermalite. Use concrete screw same as used in DG.

Sometimes depending on how dense the thermalite is a normal wood screw is good enough to pull tight.
Any type of screw in thermalite pulls straight out .

That’s what I thought especially in my blocks as they are not very dense at all.

I have used rigifix fixings on dot and dab on top of thermalite blocks for TV stands and they have been solid. That’s also an option but the plugs are really designed to sit on top of the plasterboard which I won’t have as the studwork is going on top of the thermalite.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fischer-Po...crete+Anchor+10mm&qid=1595802739&sr=8-1-fkmr0

The only stronger fixing I found than these is to bolts right thru the block .

Are you saying from your experience the Fischer ones are stronger than the dewalt ones? They seem pretty pricey but if they do the job then fair enough - don’t think I will be buying the safety screws they suggest on the website they are another £30 on top!

Not had it happen on me before, unless someone is using the fixing as a climbing frame which in turn would require a different method of block to be laid in the first place.

Fixing tv brackets (swinging motion brackets) into thermalite...i would not bother as even once fixed and tight there is still that miniscule amount of movement for it to work loose.

Do you think 8mm is ok for 38x63 studwork ? it’s about 2 metres horizontal length for tiles...

Not had it happen on me before, unless someone is using the fixing as a climbing frame which in turn would require a different method of block to be laid in the first place.

Fixing tv brackets (swinging motion brackets) into thermalite...i would not bother as even once fixed and tight there is still that miniscule amount of movement for it to work loose.

I thought the same about tv brackets but after using the rigifix plugs I have them on three 50+ inch TVs in the house all swinging out and it’s rock solid. Granted I have overkilled it with the number of plugs and was extra careful in not over drilling even half a mm too much for the pilot hole but I can hang off them and not one bit of movement.

So how would you attach roof timbers to thermalite, or are you saying you can’t build houses with them?

So how would you attach roof timbers to thermalite, or are you saying you can’t build houses with them?
Weight transferred down.

Studwork underneath to reinforce anything load bearing hanging off the thermalite.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back