Attaching Tall Unit to Plasterboard Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to attach these John Lewis units to a plasterboard wall in our new build house.

I plan to do as per the instructions and connect the units together (using the supplied connectors) and then attach them to the plasterboard wall. There are 2 brackets at the top of each unit - you can see them in situ on the photo below.

Spacers are supplied to compensate for the skirting board. My question is would it be better to attach a wooden batten to the wall rather than screwing directly into plasterboard fixings?

I'm not sure if there is any advantage as I will have to attach the wood to the wall using plasterboard fixings anyway.

These are solid units and very heavy when the 6 doors attached.

Any advice greatly received.

Cheers

IMG_20201122_102651.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure if there is any advantage as I will have to attach the wood to the wall using plasterboard fixings anyway.

if you are using a batten, you can find out where the studs are behind the plasterboard, and screw into them. If the wall is dot and dab or something you can use long screws into the blockwork.

Kitchen hanging rail can be fixed the same way, and can give a very strong support to cabinets filled with bottles, cans and crockery, which are very heavy. You might be able to use hanging rail and adjustable hangers in your case. I don't know if they have enough adjustment to match the thickness of your skirting without notching the back of the cabinets for a close fit (which would look better)

Hi,

it's a internal stud wall between bedrooms. I would only be able to attach the batten to 1 stud due to where the unit needs to go.

Not heard of kitchen hanging rail before, can you point me in the direction of an example?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert but even one fixing into a stud will be able to hold more than all the plasterboard fixings you could put in. The stud and some plasterboard fixings is even better.

Kitchen hanging rails are strips of metal that are used like your batten for heavy kitchen units to be attached to. One example here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HR1XNXX

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back