Attaining speeds faster than light

JBR, here's a pic of a couple of ZOR's in a circuit board. They can be made in industry standard shapes and sizes, so they can be used in automated machinery. They are basically a link between tracks on the circuit board (where other tracks can run beneath them) Note the 0 on them, as opposed to the 270 on the other resistors. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
I used to copyright protect my circuit boards from being copied by others using special characteristics of a normal silicon 1N4148 diode, a good diode will conduct forward current in one direction and block it the opposite direction, so these diodes are not good as a zero ohm link, so I used to blow them on purpose using 10x the current rating , so in the case of 1N4148, which is normally designed to conduct 100mA, and if you pass 1 amp, it will become short circuit and form a zero ohm resistor, on the other hand if you pass between 3Amps to 5 amps, it would blow out completely thus becoming totally open circuit, or very high resistance >10M ohms,

so on my printed circuit boards, I used place these at certain locations to make it look like part of the circuit function, if someone reproduced that board by copying it, and inserted all the components, and the diodes, then they will not know why the circuit is misbehaving, not only that I incorporated these diodes in a time delay circuit that trips in if they do not use these specially blown diodes, or in other words, if they use normal good diodes, a secret time delay circuit would kick in such that after 5 minutes the circuit would start to misbehave, erase or corrupt the data in the the board memory! lol

By using appropriately blown diodes the timer circuit function is disabled, so the unit functions normally as the blown diodes engage in pull ups and pull down function, as well as bridge tracks where needed, etc.

The only snag is that these diodes must be blown up before inserting in a circuit and tested for zero ohms or for open circuit (high resistance) and used to add valuable time to production.

Thank you Mike and Jock. Very interesting information.

Sponsored Links
OMG! some people think zero ohm resistor is funny! :cry:

Oh and a zero ohm resistor is a zero ohms, and there are wire wound resistors that are sold in values of less than 1ohm e.g 0.1ohm (100 mili Ohms) and some even lower than than this used in current sensing and in equalising base emitter voltages on parallel power transistors used on high power amps.

It's not zero ohms, it's a fancy fookin staple. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jockscott /Mikefromlondon, What value's this then???.
No one knows.
Even the experts are baffled.

118000_117238_67007_28594279_thumb.jpg

That seems Brown Black silver brown (0.1 ohms)

here the first colour is always closest to the one of the wires, (short lead) and the next colour appears to be black, and the third color is silver

when you get silver mid band, you divide the value by 100, gold means divide by 10, so you have brn/black=10 and then divide this by silver value of 100 so you get =10/100 =0.1ohms
the fourth band near the longer lead is brown again, that means its resistance is within +/- 1%, so the actual value of that resistor could be anywhere from 0.09ohms to 0.11ohms.

shame you could have just rescued that TV :)

here the first colour is always closest to the one of the wires, (short lead) and the next colour appears to be black, and the third color is silver

when you get silver mid band, you divide the value by 100, gold means divide by 10, so you have brn/black/silver = 10/100=0.1ohms

It's black brown silver black brown.
Or
Brown black silver brown black.

Either way, silver as a mid band is not known on a five band resistor.

All I could find out was (assuming it ends with the black) is that the chinese manufacture resistors with a black stripe indicating it's a fused resistor.

Asked the experts ....no-one knows.

As this is about speed of light, reminds me of a school project i did back in Kenya, year was 1972, and in Kenya it was not the easiest thing to get hold of components, there was only one shop selling some parts, if any at all, and my knowledge of electronics was very very limited, I did not know that i could have used two 4.7K resistors in series to create a 10k ohm resistor or that I could use two or more other value resistors to create a different value, in some projects and instances the value is not always hyper critical at all.,

But nevertheless I made a project for my school that won me an award amongst all the top schools in Nairobi, I made project that used a beam of light to transmit an audio signal at a distance, similar to todays fibre optics!

so I had on one end a small torch bulb that lit from a source of audio output from a small cassette tape recorder, such that its intensity varied with music or speech, however, the small torch bulb 2.5V would not light up below 1 volt of audio so I had to pass a dc current constantly to keep it just light, this is called bias, this removed all distortion from the audio output as on very soft notes the bulb would not produce any light variation, so by biasing it constantly with a dc current, the bulb remains partially lit, except the audio signal now modulates its intensity, making it go brighter and darker, the demonstration model I made worked at d at a fair distance like 100 meters, using just a small bulb and a 2watt audio output.

The bulb was placed in front of a concave reflector such that it would project a parallel beam as opposed to a diverged beam, i also used a large 3" concave lense to trim the beam absolutely parallel.

At the receiver end I had a similar set up where I used another concave lense to focus the light beam on to a transistor, in those days OC44 was a general purpose germanium transistor packaged in a glass capsule and coated with black paint to keep the light out, so if you scrape off the black paint and focus the light on to its junction, the transistor acted as a photo cell and so when you pass a small dc current through it, the current is then modulated by the incoming photo beam, such that this minute variation in the photo beam controls the flow of the current through the germanium transistor's collector emitter junction. and by using a few other components, this supplies enough amplification to be fed into a phono input of another record player where the sound is then amplified to drive a loud speaker!

the exact sound is reproduced that is playing at source, quite a few meters away, place your hand in the beam and the sound stops, sadly this project was far too advanced and beyond the ability of even my school physics teacher! He was totally puzzled, he though it was magic!

Even the judges were baffled, and did not really understand why anyone would need to make such a project, and what it would be the use of such an idea, but still they gave me a second price, and guess who won the 1st price, a couple of girls who made a hoover craft out of polystyrene and installed a small dc electric motor to fan some air through its skirt and it floated, but used an external power supply which if you really mounted on the craft itself it would never lift up! but they won 1st price!

41 years ago, My project was far too advanced for those judges ability to understand how light can transmit signals, and today we have Fibre Optics in use taking over from copper cables, and hoover craft is now in science museum!

OC44-45-01A.JPG

when you get silver mid band, you divide the value by 100, gold means divide by 10, so you have brn/black/silver = 10/100=0.1ohms

It's black brown silver black brown.
Or
Brown black silver brown black.

Either way, silver as a mid band is not known on a five band resistor.

All I could find out was (assuming it ends with the black) is that the chinese manufacture resistors with a black stripe indicating it's a fused resistor.

Asked the experts ....no-one knows.

Looking at your picture, which is rather a bit fussy, if you read from right to left, since I can only see the brown as the colour closest to one or the other lead, in this case the closest colour I can see is brown on the right, so I would say it is more like brown,black silver and then the next brown is the tolerance band and I cannot see black at the extreme left end, as the picture is not really showing me that. But yes it may be quite an odd looking resistor and may well be a fuse!

But it doesn't seem to be burnt up, so it may well be measurable on a meter.

so unless it has gone open circuit , you may otherwise measure its resistance, fix it for fun!

Sponsored Links