Attending job interviews

Peter thought there would be no problem getting the day off as the boss was away on business for a couple of days so he wouldn't know that Peter had "gone to a funeral" or what ever the excuse was.

The boss was away interviewing candidates for a postion in the other company he owned. Poor Peter, he should have researched the job he was going for.

Sponsored Links
That would not suffice for any job I ever had..or most people I know...and would a be route to a P45

I'd be walking before the opportunity arose if that's the level of professionalism I could expect from an employer.

book time off as leave. "I just need a day off". should be ok. If you are an employee with more than 2 years service, then getting fired for going to an interview should be a slam dunk for an unfair dismissal claim.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of looking for a new job a few weeks back, (turned out I was not the only one). New boss was a pain in the arse and expected people to ask How high?" when he said jump.
Told him I was fed up with the lace and I would send him, and my immediate supervisor, setting out my grievances. Sent the email and my supervisor set up a meeting with HR where everything was open. Told the boss why I wanted to leave, i.e. thought he was a bully boy who only wanted to please his masters and didn't care about his staff, he was unapproachable if we had a problem, he had no idea about the Disability Act and Carers rights etc. HR came down on my side 100% and dragged him over the coals. Told him if he didn't change his attitude his annual review by his workers would reflect badly on him.
At the moment things are now running smoothly and we are all a lot happier but we wonder how long it will last. If it doesn't we will notify HR again.

HR's role is to ensure the Employer is acting legally.. beyond that its like asking a policeman for legal advice in the interview, when decided to accept the caution or not. Clearly in your case they could see a clear case for constructive dismissal and needed to protect themselves.

HR is a part of the company, and their job is to work in the company's best interests.

That may not be the same as yours.

Back