Looking for a job while in a job

Sponsored Links
Big companies, such a joke, I know of one fella who wanted to move to a different department where I was working and was refused, his job was then TUPE'd out to a different company, he made it clear he wasn't interested in his current position and didn't want to do it anymore, company he'd been TUPE'd to put him on "the bench" while they worked out what to do with him, he was "on the bench" for 2 years, in which time he'd taken a contract with the original firm working in the department he'd wanted to work, and all this whilst still being on full pay at his TUPE'D firm... large companies what a shower of *&$#

Sponsored Links
Really depends on your industry and skills. Finding quality workers is hard in niche areas. Bigger organisations are full of office politics which gets in the way of job satisfaction.

Important to note that you don't have much in the way of employment rights within the 1st 2 years of employment.

I just did exactly that.
No pay rise, company lost some big clients in the last few months, boss suggested that staff reductions might have to happen if things don't pick up.
I started looking a few weeks ago, had 3 interviews and last Friday agreed a new role, that is more interesting, more challenging, and pays £5k more. I'll blow most of the additional earnings on child care and running another car (currently walk to work) but should still be better off. Would not have happened if I was not keeping an eye out.

Funny really. I'm 44 years old and this is the first time I have resigned from a role. Had 6 month contracts that ended (so no need to actually resign), temping work, then 11 years at one company followed by redundancy, then 6 years working for myself, then 4 years here. What I am getting at - I was more worried about resigning and giving a month's notice than anything else! as it happens, gave my notice on Friday and the office shuts over Christmas, so only 12 1/2 days left in the office!

Bigger organisations are full of office politics which gets in the way of job satisfaction.

Office politics everywhere, big and small, commercial and charity, business and education. Can't get away from people!

My present position is that I am [shall I call it?] a couple of days over the "old" retirement age?

I work on a freelance basis for several organisations.

The way these companies use me is to call and ask if I am available for work, at this stage I say yes or no.

Why work at my age??? Because
A/. I like the challenges posed.
B/. Keeps the grey matter chugging.
C/. I am lucky I have a certain skill set that lends itself to this sort of thing.
D/. I want to continue to work, because I can?

Ken
E...cos you are skint?...Same reason 75 year old pop stars go on tour,,and say its because they missed it...bolox,,,they spent up.

As has been said, there is no loyalty from employers, especially in large organisations where you are just a number to those higher up the tree.
I know of a bloke was employed to do a certain job. Because of his skills he was able to complete the daily tasks much quicker than the previous incumbent so found he had time on his hands. Rather than just waste his time mooching around 'trying' to look busy he took to doing small repairs of equipment that used to be sent out for repair. He was saving the company hundreds of pounds each month, not intentionally, he was just trying to keep busy and justify his wage each month. Granted he was taking work away from another company but their charges were ridiculously high compared to similar industries further afield.

18 months or so ago a new department boss started and questioned everyone about their roles in the company. i.e. Job position and what they were expected to do etc. This guy didn't mention the 'extras' he does so the boss thinks he just does the one task each week. Very early in the year he, (boss), queried something with the employee which led to a protracted discussion which was eventually sorted out by HR and written into his contract of employment. Boss man was not happy as he had be shown up to be a bit of a bully.

Fast forward to present day and employee is still under pressure from this boss who tries to find fault at every opportunity with said employee. Employee has now submitted a grievance but feels he is not getting a fair hearing because said boss is very pally with those above him. These people have never met employee on a face to face level but they have often walked past each other in areas like the canteen or car park. He is now preparing to take this to a tribunal as he expects the decision will go against him and life will become unbearable and untenable. That's how little those at the top of the tree think/know about those below them. It's only when people like this employee go somewhere else that someone else is likely to realise what an asset they had been.
Why does "said employee" not tell "said bully boss" to stick his job rit up his orifice?

Perhaps because despite what you may think - new jobs are not easy to come by.

Hi Folks

Many thanks for your replies. I would love to become self employed - I am a qualified book keeper.

However, we are also looking into buying a larger property and mortgage lenders don't tend to look favourably on the self employed.

That is the only reason stopping me from working for myself.

Any ideas on how I can resolve this issue?

Sponsored Links
Back