DISABILITY AFFECTING ABILITY TO GAIN EMPLOYMENT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning Folks

I am a male in my mid 4s and have a physical ‘disability’. The reason why I put the word disability in inverted commas is because the doctors have said it is not severe enough for me to be registered as disabled.

I am now in my late 40s and for the majority of my life I have coped well with these physical ‘disabilities’ – I can’t work straight (usually in a zig zag), closely resembling perhaps a drunk person trying to walk! On top of that, I have hand coordination problems although I don’t think that has affected my ability to do office work, which I have always done.

However, after being made redundant from my office job (we got taken over and the new owners decided to let go of some of the recent staff), about 6 years ago, I have not had a permanent job. I have done a few temporary contracts which have lasted a few weeks or months, but never offered a permanent job. I have various qualifications (I have a degree, I’m a certified bookkeeper, and I have an AAT qualification in accountancy).

Most of the problems arise from the fact that once I’m in a job and the staff realise that I have these ‘disabilities’, they have found excuses to get rid of me. This has happened to me on numerous occasions, and let’s face it, in the real working world, there is still discrimination against disabled individuals. Of course, it could be that indeed my work performance in each of my roles was not up to standard, and so rightly the employer had to let me go. However, this has happened on so many occasions, I am beginning to have my doubts. I am a hard working individual and put in extra effort in order to keep the employer happy and not give him/her any reason to terminate my contract.

Do you think I am just being paranoid? And if you were in my situation, how would you go about dealing with the problem?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Sponsored Links
I think your doubts are pretty fair to be honest.

I do not know of a solution for discrimination, and very hard to prove, but have you ever thought of going freelance/self employed? I've known a couple of freelance accountants in the past and they work from home too, which may be even better. Not sure if it's worth looking into? It's hard being freelance but am sure you'd make it - you already said you put extra effort into your work, am sure that work ethic will pay you back. Wish you well and good luck.

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I am already looking into freelance/self employment. However, the fear of failure is stopping me but I guess I won't know until I tried it !!

I agree with blightman.

And I understand that the fear of failure can make it hard to take that step. I took that step in 1994 when my employer's accountants decided an in house electronics design department was no longer cost effective. For the first year or so it was very hard and then it was just hard but worth it in the long run.

Sponsored Links
I understand too - was freelance for 14 years before the good times came to an end due to a shift in the industry.
It was worth it and it can earn more money than a normal 9-5 job even tho work harder for it.

What's that saying, 'better to have tried and failed etc'? :)

Do firms not have to employ a certain number/proportion of "disabled' people?

Most seem to employ far too many totally 'unabled'.

I’m a certified bookkeeper, and I have an AAT qualification in accountancy). Most of the problems arise from the fact that once I’m in a job and the staff realise that I have ‘disabilities’, they have found excuses to get rid of me. This has happened to me on numerous occasions and let’s face it, in the real working world, there is still discrimination against disabled individuals.
What you are implying is that there is widespread discrimination against the disabled in the workplace and I,
although not disabled, have never seen evidence that that is the case.
Of course, it could be that indeed my work performance in each of my roles was not up to standard, and so rightly the employer had to let me go
If it's happened on several occasions, then surely one at least one of the employers would have told you that your work wasn't up to standard.

Do you think I am just being paranoid? And if you were in my situation, how would you go about dealing with the problem?

Of course you're not being paranoid! You have every reason to be concerned. Have you ever thought of going back to one of your previous employers and asking him for feedback on where you went wrong? I think that's what I would do.

You should be covered by what was the Disability Discrimination Act but has now been superseded by the Equality Act 2010.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/contents

Unless you are in NI, in which case, you will still be covered by the DDA.

The DDA states that employers must make reasonable adjustments to enable you to do your job.

The following are protected characteristics, which employers cannot discriminate against.

• age;

• disability;

• gender reassignment;

• marriage and civil partnership;

• pregnancy and maternity;

• race;

• religion or belief;

• sex;

• sexual orientation.

A person (P) has a disability if—

(a)P has a physical or mental impairment, and

(b)the impairment has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on P's ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.

Last edited:

My experience suggests it is mainly employers within the 'public sector' who go out of their way to accommodate disabled staff with 'reasonable adjustments'. The private sector has no such compulsion.

My friend is a Accredited Lean Practitioner and is also disabled due to a spinal injury.
She is able to cope with most everyday tasks but does require help for 'heavy' tasks or doing things at height such as changing a light bulb.
Over the past 18 months she has applied for 4 jobs that she is fully qualified to do, and had done this work for a number of years for the DWP, yet she has not even been granted an interview. All 4 jobs have been with the same company and she has discovered that 3 of those positions were filled by people less qualified than her. After the last rejection she has asked for written evidence for the reason why she did not get an interview and also a copy of their disability policy. It is now a month later and despite a number of follow up emails requesting this information she has had no response. She is now going to seek advice from the Disability Rights Board to what action she can take to force them to comply. It is a very large company listed on the FTSE, not a small family type of business.

I would suggest the OP contacts previous employers and asks them for written clarification why he was dismissed from his position. If they say because of staff re-organisation/redundancies etc he should ask for a copy of their selection criteria and a copy of his assessment results.

To the OP, you are NOT being paranoid. Our experience is that Disability Discrimination is rife throughout all sectors of industry, both private and public.

My experience suggests it is mainly employers within the 'public sector' who go out of their way to accommodate disabled staff with 'reasonable adjustments'. The private sector has no such compulsion.
Anyone remember the Harrod bombing? One of the police officers lost both legs and an arm. He went on to work for Rank Xerox in Uxbridge. How long ago was that?

I went to a co op distribution center back in the early 90s and the male receptionist was severely disabled yet able to work.

Those two stand out because of the severity of their disability. I'm sure I have met many others but have forgotten them.

I agree with you bm.
I am always reminded of those two when people say they are unable to work because......... Perhaps employers should also look to companies like Xerox (the Rank has gone I believe) and the Co op. It's not what they can't do but what they can that's important.

Sponsored Links
Back