car-crash job interview

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a job interview today for a trainee architect post. Really good sounding job - no experience, will pay for tuition etc.

Was thinking of loads of insightful points to raise at interview to show how keen I was on the post. All about environmental issues of new builds, different construction methods, pros and cons of different schools of thought etc.

Got to the interview 5 mins late as I couldn't find the bloomin office but luckily the interviewer was late himself so, no worries.

Sat down, had the usual chit chat before :how was your journey, do you want coffee, blah blah blah.

Then got the the main part: Why do you want to be an architect.

MIND STOPS DEAD.

MOUTH GOES DRY.

I think i heard myself from some other part of the room RAMBLING ON about having watched 'Grand Designs and property ladder' on the telly. YES, I SAID 'TELLY'. And how I 'LIKED THE GRAPHICY BIT WHERE THEY SHOW WHAT THEY'RE GOING TO DO. I LIKE THAT SORT OF THING'..........

.... In my head, I just heard myself slowly.......derisively.....clapping. 'Well done. Well Done!'.

Willing the floor to open up and swallow me, I bumble on through the interview from hell.

Desperately try and recover composure to talk about construction techniques. Didn't want to keep using the word 'buildings' over and over so, for some reason,

I

KEPT

SAYING

ERRECTIONS.

Once would have been acceptable. 'I often admire the erections of Brunell...'.

But OOOOOH no.

'I like the industrial erections of the Salford quays...'

'Traditional erections of wood' .... WOOD!!!

Could see interviewer starting to look for nearest strait jacket so I just stopped talking. Leaving a sort of nervous silence.

'Right, Mr Jones. That seems to be all. Do you, er, have any questions?'

Here was my chance to redeem myself. Ask about the course, ask about their area of speciality, ask what the local building trends are...

Ask

Him

ANYTHING.

Nope. Just stared around the room, paused and said: 'Nah. That's it really, hur-hur'.

Shook hands, got up, stumbled down stairs (nearly broke large model of some building or other), hit myself in head with door and practically ran back to the car!!!!!

Anyhoo, 'fingers crossed, eh?'...

Sponsored Links
next time, write some notes and take your notebook in with you. :idea:

At the first interview fo rthe job I'm doing now was soooo BORING I nearly got up and walked out, "if everyone who works there is as bad as this guy" I thought why the hell would I want to work here..... after an hour and a quater the guy finally shut up and asked me about my experience this took another 45 mins and I staggered out with a head ache and arse ache.

The second interview took 45 mind and I dont think I have ever laughed so much.

The result might not be anything like the interview suggest's so keep your chin up, oh and you erections........ :D

Sponsored Links
shouldn't you change your name to 'wannabearchitect' now.... :D

We all get shafted in one way or another when we work.... :cry:

The arse ache was from sitting on a crappy chair for so long ;)

Why do you want to be an architect anyway????

Talking of car crashes & interviews, I went for one with MRAS (Merseyside Regional Ambulance Service). The manager I met in the mess room was a guy who had pranged a then brand new (5 miles on the clock) Mondeo Estate into me on a roundabout on the A34....

Talk about embarrassing....

I could see him mentally going "I know you, but don't know where from" then "Oh yes I do!!!"

I did get the job, but failed the medical. FAT GIT!

securespark said:

You failed the medical because you're a fat git? Sorry to hear that. I'm a bit on the portly side myself.

keep trying and practice the interviews with someone. have a few stock questions up your sleeve for the end, but nothing too complicated.

JohnD said:
securespark said:

You failed the medical because you're a fat git? Sorry to hear that. I'm a bit on the portly side myself.

Yeah. 19 stone & I've lost 3 already. Sad I know.

I had to do 6 minutes of exercise on a 30cm step. You start off a certain tempo, do 2 mins, then they up the tempo for 2 more & max it out for the last 2 mins.

If your heart rate (MHR) exceeds 80% (I think), then you fail.

Mine went up to 164.

Sponsored Links
Back