ATTENTION all ppl who put DIYERS off

fubar said:
We are a f###ing democracy - hell we invented the term.

Actually, the Athenians were the first to implement the concept of democracy. It comes from the words "Demos", meaning "people", and "Kratos", meaning "strength". ;) They did it MUCH better than us; for example if you didn't like a politician then you got to essentially "blackball" him on a certain day, and if a majority of people did the same then they were exiled from Athens for 10 years!

Anyway, I haven't read the whole of Part P yet, but I find it interesting that you don't need to notify for rewiring ONE circuit due to damage, but to rewire multiple circuits you do. Why don't you just do all the work, then if anyone asks say you did it over a few weeks as there were mice nibbling the cables for that long?

Have they produced a tarrif list yet? I want to know how much it is going to cost to get Building Control round to inspect my DIY electrics if I decide to do a full rewire after 1st Jan.

If we lived in a perfect world it might work... however people who bodge it probably won't know and wouldn't bother with an inspection if they did. The people who will go for an inspection will be the "blood, sweat and pride" DIYers who are doing it just as much to show off their handiwork to an appreciator of fine wiring as they are to comply with law! So we are all just as likely to buy a house with the wiring in a terrible state that will be invisible until you start inspecting it after moving in.

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
fubar said:
We are a f###ing democracy - hell we invented the term.
Actually, the Athenians were the first to implement the concept of democracy. It comes from the words "Demos", meaning "people", and "Kratos", meaning "strength". ;)
One pendant point to you :)
Anyway, I haven't read the whole of Part P yet, but I find it interesting that you don't need to notify for rewiring ONE circuit due to damage, but to rewire multiple circuits you do. Why don't you just do all the work, then if anyone asks say you did it over a few weeks as there were mice nibbling the cables for that long?
I suspect it is one of those things that were the result of a compromise between two opposing views. Or possibly, "a single" should have read "an existing", but never got changed.
Have they produced a tarrif list yet?
It is for each individual local authority to decide. Expect between £70 and £140 per job (3 visits). Last time I checked (3 weeks ago), my local authority had no idea how much they would be charging beyond "probably the same as for FENSA" - meaning uPVC windows inspection.
So we are all just as likely to buy a house with the wiring in a terrible state that will be invisible until you start inspecting it after moving in.
Nothing stopping you from sending an electrician in to do a PIR at the same time you send in your surveyor. I think many surveyors/conveyancers will in time offer this as an optional service (in the same way as they do for Radon, planning searches, drains, etc).

yes we live in a democracy. In practice this means that virtually eveything is done by the prime minister, or ministers he appoints, using the royal prerogative. essentially he is an elected king.

Leaving aside the technicalities of how power is exercised, there are only two ways to influence lawmakers. One is voting, the other is by boycoting or breaking their laws. Voting is a pretty hopeless way of expressing contempt for a particular law. No one is ever allowed to vote directly on any specific issue.

So in a democracy that leaves us with direct action as the only way the people can in fact express their will. Politicians know this perfectly well, which is why they always rush round warning of the terrible consequences of breaking the law. If they can achieve this PR snow job, they win. If not, we do.

fubar said:
ban-all-sheds said:
fubar said:
Change 1: Table 1, which lists non-notifiable work, does not restrict DIY work enough.
DIY work does not need restricting, let alone further restricting, it needs regulating, which is not the same thing at all.
Agreed - I wasn't precise in my choice of words. I mean regulating even though I wrote restricting. Given that, would you broadly agree with my first suggested change?
Not in isolation, but if there was a way in which DIYers could have their competence tested, and if found competent allowed to DIY, then more-or-less - I'm not sure about the logic of the numbers in your 1c, but that's unimportant.

My basic premise is that Part P doesn't regulate DIY enough - doesn't seek to improve the quality of work done by DIYers and regulates professionals too much by trying to shoe-horn them into paying outrageously high professional fees.

Given my clarification above, would you broadly agree with my second suggested change?
I agree that there ought to be a much lighter-weight system for people to become registered as "Competent".

Sponsored Links
A question ..... answer in 5 secs.
You have won a 'qet to be built' house, you are shown the plans, the question :- You can have double the length of wall or twice the floor area - did you get the bigger house in 5 secs ?
P

Reminds me of the time my Dad bought some ply, and (who knows why) the guy serving (this was in the era before sheds) couldn't find the price of a full sheet, so charged him twice the price of a 4 x 2 sheet....

Given normal reduction for quantity, that might have been about right.

Now what did that have to do with organising marches to protest about loosing our god given right to wire? Better liase with the hunters so we don't get clashing dates. Or maybe we should have a combined pro-hunting and wiring rally?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back