Are you really so good?

I think you're confusing him with SWOLLENB*****KS.

Sponsored Links
I personally would be more than happy to take on somebody with a willingness to learn and apply themselves regardless of their age. Can't be any worse than some of the complete muppets they throw out of school these days.

Last one i had done a year, looked really promising and then decided he needed some quick cash for a holiday so went out and started with a carpet fitter!!

P.S. Taylortwocities: did they have IT 35+ years ago? How big were those computers!! :LOL:

Scott

When I started in IT, we had two largest computers in London. Took up the whole ground floor of the building, with their disk and tape drives on the first floor. They had 1024K of memory EACH!!

Sponsored Links
Hi JD, was that Shell? Seem to remember about that time they had the first drum memory drives. Something awesome in terms of storage could have been as much as 500Kb! Access times of about a second.

Ran an IT co for a while in the 70s. The largest system we had used a TTL processor and the storage was 250K 8inch floppy drive. This was later upgraded to 3MB removeable cartridge hard disk - the heads crashed with sickening regularity unless u kept the beast in a very clean room.

And now we walk around with a 20GB disk in your iPOD. But were we happier then i ask myself - too right we were ;)

Taylortwocities said:
And now we walk around with a 20GB disk in your iPOD. But were we happier then i ask myself - too right we were ;)

Struggling to fit the program into 1024 bytes knowing that running over that limit meant another expensive ROM had to tbe added.

There was no bloatware in those days,

Yes we were happier.

BTW if you are good at oldschool efficiant programming consider getting in to embedded development, the limitations on say a PIC are very simlar to those on the old microcomputers.

plugwash said:
BTW if you are good at oldschool efficiant programming consider getting in to embedded development, the limitations on say a PIC are very simlar to those on the old microcomputers.

I am at the moment working on image processing in a 18F452 If only it had a DtoA on chip analogue output.

Unfortunately not, it has PWM which can be used as a dac with a few external components but that setup probablly won't have the bandwidth for video work.

Bugger when your ticker tape tore though and you lost your program :(

bernardgreen said:
plugwash said:

I am at the moment working on image processing in a 18F452 If only it had a DtoA on chip analogue output.
You could try a Propellor Chip?

tim west said:
b*****r when your ticker tape tore though and you lost your program :(

Hand punching a repair patch working from jig saw of torn tape. And getting the perforated "sellotape" to line up with the holes.

And PDP11 and PDP8 with the row of 24 (?) switches to hand input a few lines of code that made the paper tape reader work. Then one could load the short bootstrap program on paper tape that enabled the machine to read a "real" program from the paper tape and store it in memory.

And it was still faster than a Windows PC booting up......

And the chad from the paper tape puncher made wonderful confetti.

Spark123 said:
Don't laugh but we still use PDP11s where I work :mad:

Reliable and well built equipment. Why get rid of something that works.

If it does the job then why change it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back