Are you really so good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
sorry for this but i just feel the need to get this out! This site is full of people who think they are capable of doing their own electrics in their own homes, a lot of it is basic and some of it is quite excessive, but they are here to learn and not make the mistakes that obviously some idiots make, this is because of the kind and free advice that you professional electricians give, so many thanks for all the advice.
However, why is it so frowned upon when elder people come on here asking for advice on which is the best route to become a electrician, these people are stating that they are willing to attend the relevant courses, get the necessary qualifications and learn from any experience that they can get, but this is looked upon as the wrong thing to do, it seems that if you are not young enough to become an apprentice then sorry, the electrician door is closed. personally i think that if elder people are willing to go to college, get the qualifications, they are not just some kind of idiot that will start testing a live circuit with their tounge, they are willing to learn and hoping to be able to achieve a living out of working as an electrician.
Ill not go as far as saying industrial or commercial electrics will easily be able to do but for domestic work?? is it really that difficult?? my opinion is that if you have all the necessary qualifications, 2381, 2391, part P then you will be on the way to learning a new trade, there will still be things that you learn on the job, but surely this is what you electricians done?? give people a break, or is it because more people qualified to do the job means less work for everyone else?
Sorry but just had to say it and look forward to responses from full "electricians" as well as people trying to find their way into it.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
I would day its mostly frowned on when you get the herberts looking for the Quickest route to become a domestic electrician via 5 day training courses and the like, its those people who get moaned at. However those who wish to put the effort in will inevitably get moaned at as how can they expect to get paid a living wage at 40 as an apprentice. Fair enough if you have plenty of cash and want to work for free for a while but who has plenty of cash when thinking of a career change

Fair enough if you have plenty of cash and want to work for free for a while but who has plenty of cash when thinking of a career change

How about somebody who took early retirement and is now bored?

The thing is it's not just about qualifications but experience on the job aswell, having served a 5 year apprenticeship on industrial,commercial and domestic installations (been lucky to have gained that experience whilst firms still had staff on their books worked for a firm called Electrical Installations Ltd or EI's during the 70's) I gained experience over a broad field, picking up tips and tricks along the way and even after coming out of my time I was still learning.
The danger comes when someone comes out of college armed with qualifications thinking they can take on the world, wrong! Especially with the limited work experience gained at college.

Doing the job right comes from doing the same thing time and time again until you get the right technique to do it properly, this is where an apprenticeship comes in, it allows you to make the inevitable mistakes along the way as you are normally supervised and your work is checked. believe me you get told when you do something wrong or sloppily! Or at least you used to..

But more than anything it instills a work ethic in you of what is acceptable to your standard and makes you take pride in your work, something sadly missing these days in a lot of installations.

Sponsored Links
have to agree.

its not just the theory its the skills you pick up, and as was said the £

people want to jack in their job and take this pill and kapoof become a trades person. to learn a trade you have to start at the bottom, the person at the bottom lso gets paid the least, if you have a mortgauge you cant afford to that

many years ago some one i know went on an "domestic electrical training course" it was jut to keep people off the dole really, he went to change a pendant fitting in aa house for a friend, he couldn't even undo the years of painted over ceiling rose, they dont teach things like that on courses

I did a five year apprenticeship and worked as a trician for 11 years . I then moved out of the tools game and became involved in exterior /highway lighting design for the last ten years.In that time things have changed and moved on so quickly I dont feel confident in the things I learnt and did on a daily basis and yet you get some people who think a six month govt course makes them a trician . No it doesnt .

Sadly, the days of 5-year apprenticeships seem to have passed. I worked for 35 years in IT until the Dotcom bubble burst.
At age 52 I decided that being made redundant 3 times in a row was not the way forward and decided to take up sparking for a living. I'd always DIY'd my own electrics so it couldnt be that hard, could it?

I started on my own doing small, and then increasingly larger jobs and did 2360 at night school for 3 years then 2381 and 2391. I've learnt the practical side of the job the hard way and (IMHO) the qualifications side the proper way.

I also do not deride people becoming sparkies through effort. You dont get a competent electrician by sitting someone a classroom for 10 days and having them sit a "multiple guess" exam.

PS How do you get a pendant with 20 layers of paint off. I find that a whack with a hammer and then fitting a nice new pendant is a quick solution to the problem :)

Taylortwocities said:
PS How do you get a pendant with 20 layers of paint off. I find that a whack with a hammer and then fitting a nice new pendant is a quick solution to the problem :)

Amateur! You want to get yourself one of these:

21117.jpg

there are no symptoms of an electrical problem I need resolving, If i did have any then I would kindly ask for advice on this site, as mentioned I find it very helpful and informative and totally respect all the qualified electricians on here that do assist in the DIY people. I guess everyone on here, if knew you personally would; be willing to buy you one or more pints for there appreciation in the assistance you give.
I guess the main thing is that I am currently stuck in an engineering job, both electrical and mechanical, and am getting more and more fed up with the lack of hands on work, and I enjoy working with electricity, I am currently doing my part P course and expect to do my 2391 course after this, I am not expecting to become a master electrician and even start imposing my skills on more experienced electricians, what I am hoping to do is small jobs in spare time, obviously to make some money, and also for the enjoyment factor. I think personally I would do a good job in domestic work as would treat every bit of work I do as if it was my own house, which from what I hear is a lot better then what a lot of "electricians" would do themselves.
I just find it discouraging when you always get responses, you shouldn't be allowed to do this, you haven't learned properly etc. as mentioned, IMHO domestic work is quite straight forward, there is still a lot to learn and i understand this so im not trying to be disrespectful to people in this industry, but I wouldn't expect, even after my courses, to go and install a commercial property etc.
So, anyways, enough of my ranting lol.
Can anybody supply any information on what is the best test equipment to use? do people prefer the new all in one testers (megger CM500) or would they still prefer separate instruments for separate tests?
again, I look forward to any responses

Taylortwocities said:
PS How do you get a pendant with 20 layers of paint off.
I would imagine it depends on whether you are trying to do minimal damage to the decor or not.

If i was trying to do minimal damage to the decor I would probablly try and remove the paint with a knife first, if I didn't care about the decor your method of smashing it is probablly the quickest.

I completed a six week course (full time) attained my 2381, and studied for the next three months to gain my 2391.
I have spent the last 18 months working full time for a 20 year time served sparks.
I am just in the middle of my first rewire (on my own) as a charging sparks, something i now feel competent to do (my gaffer agrees).
My training/studying has been invaluable, but so has the practical experience of a wide range of work. In my opinion i would not have been competent off the back of my course (although any part p scheme would of gladly had me for a fee).
It can be done but it ain't easy, i don't earn a lot subbing but i've learned a lot, so over all its been worth it for me. Hopefully i stand to make a better living if i get more of my own work.
I like to judge people as i find them, and yes there are plenty of chancers out there, i like to think i'm not one. If people want to go for they can but i would advise anyone to try and seek work with an experienced sparks first.

too old to learn said:
Can anybody supply any information on what is the best test equipment to use? do people prefer the new all in one testers (megger CM500) or would they still prefer separate instruments for separate tests?
again, I look forward to any responses

The preference is really up to you, I prefer Megger to the other brands but is only my opinion. I have a combi EFLI/RCD tester and a separate IR tester. If I was to buy a new one then I'd probably go for the MFT1552.

CM500 is really good tester, but its quite bulky compared to newer multi function testers available now

Have you a medical problem, or are you complaining about the large population of a pert of our island?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back