Attic chimney bricks crumbling and new roof beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm just looking for a bit of advice. I live in an old Victorian terraced house and i went into the attic and noticed the wooden beams were wet and the ridge beam was rotten (maybe an original from 1850?).

I had a builder around who said I'd need the roof off and new felt put back on and new beams costing about 5k - 6k including scaffolding.

I've noticed where the chimney was the bricks are so soft, the mortar literally crumbles in my hand and so do some of the bricks (see pics, the three rows of brick at the very top are sturdy and dry and the black is mould). I'm guessing this is because of some long-term roof leak that's made the brick soft. But do i need to get the builders to replace the brick ? Could it be bad structurally ?

There's some tiny hairline cracks in my bedroom and living room below that . I knocked on the wall and it's hollow behind. Could this be the wet bricks causing this?

I've already done so much to my house and already have to take a loan out for the roof, it makes me feel physically sick if something else is wrong. Or can the roof me fixed and the soft brick left as is ?

Attachments

• 20200103_174035.jpg
    20200103_174035.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 1,291
  • 20200103_173921.jpg
    20200103_173921.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 1,215
Sponsored Links
whats on the other side of the chimney breast/party wall - does the neighbour's chimney breast back on to your chimney breast?
the bricks show perhaps two demolished chimney flues - the soot covered verticals which suggests that it might be the remains of a chimney breast?
do you have a chimney stack on the roof - pics please of the roof and stack?
is the chimney stack, or was it, shared with your neighbour's stack?
do you still have chimney breasts and fireplaces on the ground floor and the first floor?

can you post pics of the bedroom cracks - show that whole bedroom wall for context - same with the living room below?

how long have you lived in the house?

Thanks so much for the replies.

Attached is a photo of the roof. My neighbour says it's his chimney (the aerial was taken down when I moved in and he asked that when I got a new one 'not to attach it to his chimney' even though it's located on my roof.

I've lived here 1.5 years. The chimney bricks in the attic are joined to my neighbours house (hes end of terrace and im in the middle) and i guess his chimney but he doesn't live there, he's had the house over 17 years and it's empty (I dread the condition inside, he admits problems with damp as never has heating on). I'm not sure if still has a fireplace but I don't have any fireplaces.

I'm not sure if my chimney on the roof has been removed and the ones in the photo are his. I think mine have been removed which is why the beams and bricks are wet in the attic because it must not have been sealed properly afterwards.

I've had a bit of damp in the living room and I'm worried now it's the water coming down the bricks making the walls wet (although someone at work told me it's probably just condensation being in an old house).

Attachments

• 20200103_190459.jpg
    20200103_190459.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 642
  • 15780786671461085269953.jpg
    15780786671461085269953.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 676
  • 15780788206601841055469.jpg
    15780788206601841055469.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 603
  • Screenshot_20200103-185301.png
    Screenshot_20200103-185301.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 686
Sponsored Links
Thanks for even the comment about soot.... I literally don't have anyone to ask (and obviously know nothing..) and I thought it was black mould (n) .... those builders would see me coming !

your chimney breast's have been removed from the ground floor, the first floor and the loft.
the sooty streaks you can see are the old back wall of your two flues.
all sooty bricks should have been wire brushed clean when the c/breast's were removed.

the roof pic shows what was probably a shared stack - there are no signs of your half of the stack having been removed.

two questions now rear up:
1. how is the chimney stack being supported - pics in your loft, looking up from below the stack might help to show any support?
or maybe the neighbour's side is giving some support to the stack?
2. are all 3-level's of the neigbour's chimney breast's still in position - ie they'v not been removed like your c/breast's have been removed?

its possible that the flaunching and the flashing on and around the stack is leaking water into your loft.

if a roofer goes on to the roof to inspect the condition of the stack then ask for photo's or a video of any damage -
its common nowadays to ask for and get before and after roof work videos.

Thank you so much for the reply.

I've taken some photos showing up towards the roof but it all looks like flat brick and then roof tiles.. so I'm not sure how it's being held up... the black fabric is hanging off though so that's probably why the bricks are damp.

I'll contact my neighbour and ask him about his fireplaces. What would it mean either way ?

Should i be worried about those soft bricks and mortar? Or if the roof is fixed will it be ok?

Thanks I'll ask for videos and photos.

Attachments

• 20200103_202409.jpg
    20200103_202409.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 1,034
  • 20200103_202342.jpg
    20200103_202342.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 662
  • 20200103_202304.jpg
    20200103_202304.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 668
i think i've got a better idea of whats going on now you've posted the new photo's.

the remains of your loft c/breast might be supporting whats left of his chimney stack - your part of the stack, the bit behind the pots that we can see seems to have been removed - i think.
tomorrow maybe take a pic of the stack from the back of the house?

your neighbour should go into his loft and see if he has water damage on his side.
direct him to this thread.
wait and see if he's removed his chimney breasts - any of them or all of them?

Thank you for the reply.

I got a reply from my neighbour today who said he has the chimney breast in tact in his attic (he didn't mention elsewhere).

He said he didn't see why I thought it necessary to have the roof replaced (even thought i said the beams were rotten) but I advised him to check the condition of his attic.

I took some photos of the back of the chimney.

Do you think I should be concerned with the remaining bricks sticking out in my attic, they're really soft and powdery?

Attachments

• 20200104_151712.jpg
    20200104_151712.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 435
  • 20200104_151637.jpg
    20200104_151637.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 454
  • 20200104_151734.jpg
    20200104_151734.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 427
in the past the roof has been strengthened probably when it had the concrete tiles fitted.
get anther onsite opinion. I doubt re roofing is called for.
If the chimney is not in use get it removed and tiled over

the existing chimney stack appears to be mainly your neighbour's side - maybe the whole stack is on his side?

the wrong (cheap), soft bricks were originally used to build the c/breast in your loft - moisture and soot have "softened" them further.
the newer, hard bricks set higher up were, perhaps, repair bricks inserted after the removal of your loft c/breast.
the wet, soft bricks pose no danger, leave them alone.

it looks as though your part of the stack was removed & not made watertight where the lead flashing comes over the ridge - this will be the cause of water damage to the ridge.
the lead flashing & the loose roofing felt down your side of the stack also seems to be leaking - this area might be responsible for the water damage to the rafters, & the moisture dripping down the c/breast?

who would be responsible for repairs i dont know - but, from what i can see, only local repairs would be needed to the stack flashing, the ridge and the rafters.
a patch of roofing/tiles might need lifting around the stack but removing the whole roof isn't required.

why you have cracks in line with the old c/breast i dont know - it might be that residues of soot ie chemical reactions, are causing the plaster to blow - its almost guaranteed that the correct render was not used to make good, & if, lacking any preparation, gypsum plaster was used then the gypsum might never have "stuck" to the sooty, unprepared background.
try and get assurance that your neighbour has not removed any section of his chimney breasts.

if you get another onsite opinion , bottom right of the roof pictures you posted shows one tile incorrectly fitted. the channel is on show.
2 minute job get it corrected to prevent low roof level damage.

Thank you both so much, I will contact a local roofer for a second opinion.

Thank you :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back