Attic Purlins Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I would like to get 2 velux windows fitted either side of my roof space. There are a number of houses on my row (1920s mid-semis) who have got the old “floored and insulated” and are very stupidly using as bedrooms, no building control, no architects, structural engineer etc. Anyway, I have been in a couple and they have the windows above the purlins. I am next to the shore and the views are great however, you need to stand on your tiptoes to see out. I would like to get the windows fitted where the purlins are so that I would get unspoiled views without having to stand on the yellow pages. My question is would it be a roofer or a general builder I would need to get in contact with to see if this is a viable option? I have attached pictures. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• E2444641-D733-4203-A6D0-130A71DBB32A.jpeg
    E2444641-D733-4203-A6D0-130A71DBB32A.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 9131DD04-B1C7-496D-B57F-2F79EE296BBD.jpeg
    9131DD04-B1C7-496D-B57F-2F79EE296BBD.jpeg
    306.3 KB · Views: 89
Sponsored Links
A Structural Engineer !!

Expensive velux windows !!!

Yes that’s what i’m thinking. I wouldn’t mind having a large one above the purlin on one side and 2 smaller ones below the purlin on the other side (where the best views are) but i’m not sure you can fit them below purlin ?

Sponsored Links
Not a problem, just double up the rafters each side.

Thanks builder said

“Hi you would need a structural engineer to see it first and give you a load bearing report plus building control will only let you put bottom of the window 1080 to 1180 from floor level so you might need a long velux for views but can certainly price for it after that many thanks”

So will need to measure from floor level to see if windows below purlin will be viable

The requirement for 2nd storey lofts to have means of escape windows was removed many years ago, therefore no height criteria applies.

Any low window will need to have safety glass.

The purlin could potentially be resited if the rafters will still be within their span tolerance.

Either way, will at least need to be doubled up each side of the window, sometimes trebbled.

You won't need a structural engineer for the above options, but the builder will need basic knowledge of rafter span capacities, and building control will just inspect and approve if you conform to published guides.

The requirement for 2nd storey lofts to have means of escape windows was removed many years ago, therefore no height criteria applies.

Any low window will need to have safety glass.

The purlin could potentially be resited if the rafters will still be within their span tolerance.

Either way, will at least need to be doubled up each side of the window, sometimes trebbled.

You won't need a structural engineer for the above options, but the builder will need basic knowledge of rafter span capacities, and building control will just inspect and approve if you conform to published guides.

Thanks. Just to confirm I am reading that right, I do NOT need a structural engineer for a vellux BELOW the purlin, ie, the purlin remains in situ? Thanks.

For a nicer view out, why not one velux above, and one below the purlin?
An example:
fullsizeoutput_1aa0.jpeg
777467EB-7092-4DD7-B49F-4382A5EF73B6_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
One 800x1200 velux brings in a amazing amount of light into a loft, so I would question the need for a lower roof windows divided by an ugly purlin.

Bear in mind that the viewing angle from within the loft will mean that the purlin will most likely block the "view" out of a lower window except for what's going on in the gutter or a bit of the front garden

Thanks. It appears there is minimum height requirements for roof windows, So I will probably need an architect to do proper drawings as well as a structural engineer for weight bearing calculations etc

Attachments

• Unknown.png
    Unknown.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 48
Thanks. It appears there is minimum height requirements for roof windows, So I will probably need an architect to do proper drawings as well as a structural engineer for weight bearing calculations etc
Where does that document come from? 2006?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back