Aurora AU-DLM983

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just purchased 4 x Aurora AU-DLM983 downlights and some 5W LED bulbs to replace some old 12V fittings and 50W halogen bulbs in a bathroom.

The fitting appears to hold the bulb high up, resulting in a "tunnel" effect, which causes the light to be very directed. As a result, I'm finding the bathroom just isn't bright enough with the new fittings.

I'm considering, not using the part of the fitting that holds the bulb and instead allowing the bulb to sit on the glass of the fitting. In this position, it allows the light to be spread at more of an angle and the overall brightness of the bathroom is acceptable.

I know the new LED bulbs are producing as much light (if not more) than the original halogens, so it isn't the bulb that is the problem, rather the design of the light fitting.

I confess I was talked into purchasing this particular fitting - I wanted an IP44 rated fitting, which the supplier didn't stock and offered this IP65, fire rated fitting as a replacement and at a similar price. I'm now regretting my decision due to its "poor" design.

Is it okay for the bulb to rest on the glass front of the sealed fitting? My concern is it may get hot and cause the glass to crack, however, in my experience, while LED bulbs do get warm, they don't get anywhere near as hot as halogen bulbs.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back