Aurora AU-GUF4011/40 alternative

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I want to find an alternative to replace the bulbs currently fitted in my bathroom's downlights. These were originally fitted with Aurora AU-GUF4011/40, three of them decided to die within a couple of months after just 18 months of usage.
These bulbs are advertised with a lifetime of 10,000h and we are really far from it (even if the lights were on for 8h a day for 2 years we would only have consumed 5,840h, so after 18 months and the bathroom's light being hardly on for more than 2-3 hours a day on average we are nowhere near 10,000h!).
So IMO they are not good value for money, @ £10+, it's more of a rip-off if anything, plus they take ages to warm up which is really annoying.

I have to find a bulb that fit the downlight, (63-64mm diameter), height, the aurora is 88mm but I guess it can be shorter.

Instructions on the downlights reads: 240V -SGU10 - 11w max.

Can I use normal LED or halogen? Any suggestions?

Many thansk for your help!
And stay away from these bulbs!
Carine

Sponsored Links
If LED lamps will fit, use those. 5W or 7W.
Halogens are unsuitable as they will create far more heat and cause damage.

SGU10s are similar to GU10s bulbs, but have a specially adapted base.
You will only be able to use similar lamps (ie SGU type) lamps in there.

You will need to change the lamp holder, or the entire fitting if you want to use LED or other type lamps that use GU10 lamps.[/b]

Thanks both for your replies. Thank you Taylortwocities for highlighting the GU / SGU issue! I hope on won't be stuck with Aurora choice only :(

Sponsored Links
These bulbs are advertised with a lifetime of 10,000h
What that means is that by 10,000 hours half will have failed.

You would need a much larger sample than 3 to show that 10,000 hours is not true.

Hi Cmerlin
Can I ask you if you found an alternative to the expensive Aurora bulbs ? Also, does the differ
ence between the sgu10 and gu10 mean they can not be interchanged?

Hi All,

Can I use normal LED or halogen? Any suggestions?

Carine

If you are looking for claimed lifespan then these new fangled LEDs probably aren't going to impress you either. The quoted life is almost certainly of the LED chip and obtained from accelerated aging tests, but you've got to also consider all the electronics sitting behind it. Cheap capacitors are often stuck in there and these don't last as long - especially when you put them in downlighters where they are above the LED so get roasted.

Anecdotal evidence from our use of GU10 LEDs in our kitchen suggest that the same brand/model have higher failure rates in downlighters than in fittings where they are in free air. I'm now wondering whether it's better to replace all our halogen G9s in quite confined light fittings with LEDs when they blow, or just to replace with halogens again. Probably insufficient data right now to make a correct decision.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back