GX40 light bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into a new house which has unusual ceiling lights. They are GX40 fitting capsule bulbs.
Several now blown and trying to find replacements but google is not forthcoming.
The existing bulb is made by Aurora - AU-DFG927 9W 2700K.
Seems to be discontinued.

Any ideas where might find replacements (have already sent enquiry to Aurora).

Alternatively, how hard would it be to replace the fittings with conventional downlighters; not sure if the hole size, etc is same ?

Sponsored Links
Measure the centre of the pins, see if it is actually 40mm.
If so would seem to be a special, you may be lucky and find whats called a Disc lamp, either, cfl or led, a Disc lamp has a similar fitting but, a flatter lens but usually 53 mm centres, and known as GX53, you would need to check dimensions..

Measure the centre of the pins, see if it is actually 40mm.
If so would seem to be a special, ...
I wonder where these lights came from (I presume the OP, having inherited them, won't know). If one does a Google search for "GX40 9W", although there are a good few hits, the majority are in Russian - so maybe such lamps exist as 'standard' in such a place?!

Kind Regards, John

Thanks both. Yes the pin spacing is indeed 40mm. I guess they were intended to be a new standard but never took off. This is what they look like

Will wait for reply from Aurora, but was wondering if you think the hole in the ceiling will be right size to put a conventional downlighter in to replace completely ?

Sponsored Links
Will wait for reply from Aurora, but was wondering if you think the hole in the ceiling will be right size to put a conventional downlighter in to replace completely ?
That obviously depends upon the size of the present hole - what size is it?

Downlighters come in all sorts of sizes, and some also have adapters to enable them to be fitted into 'oversize' holes. In fact, it looks as if your holes are quite small, so the worse case might be that you might have to enlarge the holes.

Kind Regards, John

if the pins are 40mm then that fitting looks about 80mm hole.
Most downlights are about 75 to 85mm I think, so agree you may have to enlarge the hole
A gimball or eyeball use even bigger holes, so you should find ones to fit

An adjustable GU10 robus is 80mm, I think Enlite Sprytes are 85ish but they're too bright for domestic fittings IMO. Fitted some in a soffit recently and they looked like metal halides they were blinding

the worse case might be that you might have to enlarge the holes.
And the best case might be to seize the opportunity provided by not being able to replace the bulbs and replace the lighting in the room(s) with type(s) of lights actually designed to light up rooms, as opposed to recessed torches in the ceiling(s)....

Thanks all for your advice and help. No reply from Aurora so I think I'm going to replace the fittings. I've done quite a lot of automation in the house - Lightify Smart bulbs, electric curtain rails controlled by Raspberry Pis linked to Siri, and set up automation schedules, etc I think I'll go with something dimmable and use a Fibaro dimmer module to allow remote control and automation. Any recommendations for light fittings - these bulbs were actually quite pleasant as the dome part stuck out of the ceiling and gave a warm glow rather than the recessed torch effect !

these bulbs were actually quite pleasant as the dome part stuck out of the ceiling and gave a warm glow rather than the recessed torch effect !
:oops: So they do - my apologies, I didn't look at the photo properly. :oops:

You might be able to get a similar effect (just an idea maybe worth looking into - I've not, so I don't know if it will turn out to be a daft one) by putting LED GLS bulbs into recessed fittings designed for R50 spots.

Or just start searching for small flush ceiling lights - they are out there, e.g.

There must be others.

Or if you still have the dead Aurora bulbs, and DIY electronics skills, could you open them up and replace the innards, possibly moving to using an external power supply for them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back