Aurora downlight replacement advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first time poster here.

I’m looking for some advice concerning a non-working Aurora AU-FRLD811B/30 downlight and how to get it fixed / replaced?

I have some photos below to illustrate the problem but in short I rent a flat in London with a lounge that has a number of these dimmable bulbs but this one has always failed to work. I usually prefer not to involve the landlord when it comes to simple things like changing a lightbulb but I cannot fathom how I even change this without replacing the whole unit and requiring - the LED bulb bit seems to be ‘fixed’ into the main unit and the unit seems to be hard wired into the electric.

Do I need an electrician? Or am I missing something obvious? So far this is going beyond my abilities!

yK94xaI.jpg

1pqBRjt.jpg

u8KDjV8.jpg

Sponsored Links
That is an integrated unit - there are no replaceable parts. When it breaks, the whole thing must be replaced.

If you pull more of the cable out of the ceiling, there will be a junction box or similar where it can be disconnected from the building wiring.

I think it would need the entire LED unit to be swapped out - leave it to your landlords electrician to resolve.

That is an integrated unit - there are no replaceable parts. When it breaks, the whole thing must be replaced.

If you pull more of the cable out of the ceiling, there will be a junction box or similar where it can be disconnected from the building wiring.

I think it would need the entire LED unit to be swapped out - leave it to your landlords electrician to resolve.

Thanks. Good to know. As I'd rather not involve the landlord - I'd like to get a replacement and arrange to have it fitted. Can anyone steer me as to what exactly I need to purchase? And where?

All my searches for Aurora AU-FRLD811B/30 seem to pull up as out of stock. I also want to make sure I'm getting the right type to match the other lights. I'll then see if I can locate a London based electrician to fit it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Good to know. As I'd rather not involve the landlord - I'd like to get a replacement and arrange to have it fitted. Can anyone steer me as to what exactly I need to purchase? And where?

All my searches for Aurora AU-FRLD811B/30 seem to pull up as out of stock. I also want to make sure I'm getting the right type to match the other lights. I'll then see if I can locate a London based electrician to fit it.

If your rent includes such repairs, then why bother? The landlords electrician might have a stock of spares and is maybe local/could repair quicker than you could - besides it the landlords property, what if something were to go wrong with the repair you fixed.

That one is discontinued.
To have a similar appearance, the replacement will need to be 3000K, dimmable, and a light output of 520 lumens.
A minor difference in the lumens won't matter too much.

If your rent includes such repairs, then why bother? The landlords electrician might have a stock of spares and is maybe local/could repair quicker than you could - besides it the landlords property, what if something were to go wrong with the repair you fixed.

I understand this, but it's just a private owner who I know and he'd probably ask me to find someone in any case (which I'm happy to do) i.e. he doesn't have an electrician constantly seeing to multiple properties. I prefer to sort simple things out and not only involve him for major things. If it's just the case of buying the right part, and getting it fitted, I can handle this myself.

That one is discontinued.
To have a similar appearance, the replacement will need to be 3000K, dimmable, and a light output of 520 lumens.
A minor difference in the lumens won't matter too much.

Thanks. Good to know. I'll see if I can find something similar with those specs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back