Autistic Superstars

Sponsored Links
Just be watching this on BBC3 really worth watching ,far better than any cat fight ;)
I didn't see the programme but, having the read the link you posted, I think your comment is rather cruel, don't you? :evil:

Unless of course I have misunderstood your meaning :confused:

Sponsored Links
I think you mis-read it. you've been busy on other threads tonight ;)

Edit: IMHO, it really is worth watching.

Ooops, sorry :oops:
You're right, I got embroiled in other 'cat fights' :eek:

Saw a part of this programme a few weeks ago.
They are very talented, however, the general public does not always have contact with people like them so in my opinion they are scared of them. How often have you seen, or even done it yourself, people talking to the carer of a disabled person as though that person wasn't even there?
When I had a small dog I used to walk past a house where a young teenage lad who was severley disabled lived. He used to sit in his chair at the end of the path watching people go by. I always walked on the opposite side of the road merely because I had just come out of the park and each time I noticed they used to take a wide berth as they passed him. I don't know why but one evening I decided to cross over and walk past him. As I got closer with Ben, a King Charles Cavalier, this lad got excited, leaning forward in his chair and making gutteral sounds. It was clear he wanted to get closer to my dog so I stopped and began to talk to him. I couldn't understand him but after a few minutes I looked up and saw his mum and dad standing at the front door, his mum had a tea towel to her face and was clearly upset, or so I thought. I began to apologise for upsetting thier son when they came rushing down the path, (it was quite a long one as the house was set back from the main road), they were so happy that someone was actually talking to their son.
Tony, as I came to find out, had cerebal palsy and the family had been left to feel like outcasts because of their sons disability. Although the neighbours accepted them they would talk over his head about him, not to him. I would make a point of walking past every night just so Tony could see Ben, in fact Ben would tug on his lead to go that way.
Sadly, Tony passed away a few years ago but I have the happy thought that I, and Ben, brought some joy into his short life.

23-year-old Carly has an exceptional singing voice but the social difficulties she has leave her in a perpetual state of anxiety. She is liable to fly off the handle at a moment's notice, which makes rehearsals a real challenge.

18-year-old Martin also has an extraordinary voice, but his autism is so severe that he is almost completely non-verbal, except for when he is singing. Vocal coach Jo Price has her work cut out with these seemingly unteachable students.

Also performing is an incredible 11-year-old drummer, a guitarist with a passion for the blues and a young artist who illustrates the concert as it happens.

The Autistic Spectrum is one of the largest and least understood groups of people . I watched the prog. But I still find it, and it`s ilk like the Victorian penny viewings of the Asylums .

conny, did the lad you referred to live on dinas lane by any chance? The story you told puts me in mind of a poor lad who lived there. Well done to you anyway for your humanity, the poor kid I'm talking about was a couple of years younger than me and we always used to walk past him on the way home from school, always on the other side of the road too :oops:, though I always felt terribly sorry for him, he had no life whatsoever. Your story puts me to shame.

Sooey, no he didn't live there. He lived close to Walton Park.
Don't feel ashamed, its natural and I've probably walked past hundreds of disabled people myself and not give it a second thought. Don't ask me why but this day I just decided to cross over and walk past. I didn't cross with the intention of speaking to him, it just happened. Fate/Karma whatever?
I don't know, but I'm glad I did.

Sponsored Links
Back