Automatic blinds - too expensive. Ever considered making your own?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was just looking at automatic blinds and they seem ludicrously expensive, for what they are.

Has anyone looked at any DIY alternatives?

A small stepper motor, controlled by a Arduino could be an option.

Sponsored Links
That's just ridiculous.

I realise that new products come with an initial premium, until the technology matures, but this seems to be a case of mass exploitation.

Still pricey...

The ones that cost £115 and £129?, I would happily pay that per blind as long as it could integrate with SmartThings/Z-Wave. When I think pricey, I think high hundreds and low thousands per blind.

Sponsored Links
The ones that cost £115 and £129?, I would happily pay that per blind as long as it could integrate with SmartThings/Z-Wave. When I think pricey, I think high hundreds and low thousands per blind.

They are zigbee so probably would integrate with smart-things?

A small stepper motor, controlled by a Arduino could be an option.
If the blinds have to be moved vertically then, judging by opinions and experience in a similar thread on another forum, you'd need quite a beefy stepper motor unless you gave it a lot of reduction gearing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back