Creating spring-loaded/spring-back blinds for conservatory Windows. Genius or potential disaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a very hot conservatory. We need blinds for its high angled glass roof (see pic).

We don't want blinds which have wire 'tracks' which the blinds run down, as the wires spoil the view when the blinds are open.

We don't want electronic blinds which are built into a frame, as they're expensive and we have a lot of windows to tackle.

We don't want blinds with a cord or pulley as it would be difficult to manoeuvre the cords around the bifold doors beneath the roof without it looking s***

Instead, I've got the idea of installing spring-loaded blinds which are grabbed/pulled down via a pole with a hook at the end (the same way in which some Velux windows are opened). Once pulled down, the blind would then be attached via a magnet or loop to a unobtrusive catch on the frame to keep them in place when 'shut'.

Is this a terrible idea? Has anyone ever tried it? Is there a reason people don't do this, cos it seems simpler and less obtrusive than retail options, albeit challenging to make

Attachments

• PXL_20220814_112028446.jpg
    PXL_20220814_112028446.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What is the structure made from?
there are the old fashioned “Tom and Jerry” style spring loaded blinds, you could fit aluminium track to the sides and pull down to hook the blind in various positions.

i don’t see the issue with guide wires? You are talking 2-3mm wire. That won’t exactly block a view

Structure is wood

I'll have a Google of the Tom & Jerry style, cheers

2 or 3 wires per window is 20+ wires. The joy of the existing view is that it's totally unobstructed and we'd like to keep that. Also we'd still have the issue that wired blinds use either electric or pulley systems, neither of which we want

I suspect that a spring-loaded roller blind will sag significantly, unless the spring is fairly strong. A strong spring may also be quite difficult to manoeuvre, when using a pole to place it. You could build a temporary frame to try one, set to the same angle.
Guide wires will be around 0.6mm diameter, so are not terribly noticeable. Concertina folding used on guide-wired systems also make for a small package when closed. Using a pole to move wire-guided concertina blinds is quite simple.
As an aside, Glass suppliers are not in favour of framed blind systems, as they prevent air movement, so increasing heating of the glass, which may damage seals or surface finishes.

Sponsored Links
Guide wires on mine were not visible , only sit at top and bottom under a trim .Concertina construction stopped them sagging .

So basically what the OP wants is blinds that are invisible when not closed yet provide a total blackout when closed.

Dream on.
Definitely not looking for total blackout, and they will be invisible because the lip of the frame will hide any cassette or mechanism into which the blinds will roll/concertina into

I suspect that a spring-loaded roller blind will sag significantly, unless the spring is fairly strong. A strong spring may also be quite difficult to manoeuvre, when using a pole to place it. You could build a temporary frame to try one, set to the same angle.
Guide wires will be around 0.6mm diameter, so are not terribly noticeable. Concertina folding used on guide-wired systems also make for a small package when closed. Using a pole to move wire-guided concertina blinds is quite simple.
As an aside, Glass suppliers are not in favour of framed blind systems, as they prevent air movement, so increasing heating of the glass, which may damage seals or surface finishes.
Cheers that's jolly helpful. I had the same thought re sag and strength of spring. Gonna test a few different things

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back