Automatic Closer for UPVC Double Glazed Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Background: It's a shared house, I used to live there but now in with the missus however I still pay all the bills & my furnishings remain inc. flat screen TVs etc. However the remaining occupants insist on opening the large bathroom window fully and leaving like that, when they are cold they turn the thermostat up to 35 (I guess concerns about your carbon footprint are directly related to whether you pay the bill for it) plus it lets rain pour in if the wind is blowing that way. It is also a security concern as it is over a flat roof below which you could climb onto from one of the garden chars and easily hop in through said window. Initially I put in the most powerful (and expensive) extractor fan possible and locked the window in the "trickle" position thinking this would provide adequate ventilation....this simply resulted in the lock being busted off twice.

Attempted solution: I tried fixing one of these https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/product/light-duty-door-closer-silver-465901
thinking if I set it too its slowest speed it would close over a couple of minutes giving a decent amount of air circulation, and could just be pushed open again if more was required but once the room is unattended will close the window for thermal insulation and also the window will at least look closed and not attract attention.

The problem: It hasn't worked.... I mounted the closer following the transom instructions for door mounting, quite close to the hinge side. However where doors pivot around a single hinge point the casement windows have sliders. The closer is only effecting for the final 1/4 of the close. It doesn't seem to pull on the window before that point, or at least not hard enough. I was wondering if moving the closer away from the hinge side of of the frame to the side the window opens from would give it more leverage to work? I am asking here first for any advice as I already have more holes in the window frame than are strictly necessary and would like to avoid turning it into a sieve as I experiment with different options.

Or if there is any solutions I haven't thought of/alternative products please let me know!

Sponsored Links
Replace the lock and charge double the replacement costs if it breaks again
Don't lock it on trickle

Its sound like you have already thrown a few £ at this problem.
Although a closer is probably possible it would probably be some what expensive and sounds like the tenants would just break it anyway.

My suggestions would be a new window with a smaller fanlight opener that noone could climb through to deal with your security concerns, Probable cost around £400-600.
Then possible change the gas meter to a pay as you go and make the tenants pay. Free but may be complex with a shared house.
Maybe a closer on the bathroom door to stop the heat from the house escaping if they leave the window open. No guarantees they wouldn't wedge the door though.

So I managed to fix the closer with the folding arm the other way around at the opening side of the window and it worked.....ish. It closes it too fast really, within about 3 seconds even on its slowest settings. Means if you want to replace the air in the room, to defog the mirror or let a smell out, you would have to hold it open for about 10 seconds (big window small room, already has a powerful extractor fan). I'm hoping 10 seconds isn't too much to ask, I suspect I will be proven wrong and find some new vandalism has taken place so they can leave the window open and the heating on while they are out :(

Video

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you need to open a window to defog then the fan must be under spec required , there should be no build up of steam even in a small bathroom .Had a shower room with no windows and never had a steam build up. You could fix an anti tamper stat fixed at suitable temp (21 degrees).
I would seal the window .

No matter how powerful the fan / extractor is it will not be effective if there is no ropute for air to enter the bathroom to replace the air which the fan has extracted. If the room is sealed than the fan will not be extracting air.

A gap under the bathroom door is one way to allow air into the bathroom

The fan is rated at 108cubic meters per hour, it was the highest I could find. EDIT: Will double check their airflow around the door to make sure it can extract optimally.

Regarding anti tamper thermostats I had read somewhere this was "against the human rights of tenants"?

If this fails I maybe will lock the window and remove the handle so they have no leverage to break it open next time.....

Shouldn't be doing this silly dance, they are all adults, I though millennials were all about environmental conservation.

Regarding anti tamper thermostats I had read somewhere this was "against the human rights of tenants"?

Could be worth a try :)

Attachments

• that-a-moment-when-your-thermostat-is-actually-just-hanging-8763603.png
    that-a-moment-when-your-thermostat-is-actually-just-hanging-8763603.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 104
A gap under the bathroom door is one way to allow air into the bathroom
Quite right, bldg. regs require min 10mm gap under a bathroom door to allow extractor fan to draw air in. Centrifugal fan in my ensuite sounds a bit better after cutting a bit off the bottom of the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back