AV Cable In Screed

U

User

Hello there is it okay to bury AV cable (telephone, Cat6, Coax, USB etc) direct in sand cement screed without any further protection like conduit etc

I'm not concerned with being able to pull the cable in future or mechanical protection (unlikely to be nailed or such)

Does the sand and cement react with this stuff like with copper pipe is the insulation on AV cables enough to protect it from the sand cement

Please can someone answer this pleez so I can start screeding pleeez

Sponsored Links
Thanx for the reply Mr Scotty :D

Thing is I've got 90m of conduit but unfortunately it's 20mm and the USB and VGA heads simply don't fit

Even the 20mm cable looks worryingly high up in places (the concrete floor is far from level since it is designed to be under the screed anyway) and if I stick in some 32mm conduit it might be in line with the screed in some parts thought might be able to just dump the vga and usb cables in without any extra steps anyone know? Anyone done this?

Has anyone screeded directly over any type of cable? Had any problems?

please answer me this.

what happens when directly screeded cable goes wrong for what ever reason?

Sponsored Links
I've had to do a similar thing (cat6 usb and speaker wire), i set the wire in a straight line on the floor with dollops of stix-all and covered it with some 'primary support channel' that i had left over. basically galvanised steel channels that you can buy in builders yards, 2 inches wide or so by 1 cm deep, ideal for cables.

Screeded over that, all good so far.

b/

you won't have any problems with direct burial of pvc cables as long as there is no real risk of mechanical damage or movement at any time in the future.

Thanks for the replies

Mr Banana that's a good idea something I've been considering

Mr Banco that's exactly what I wanted to hear it's a solid 100mm concrete slab laid on dpm, insulation and compacted hardcore hopefully movement should be minimal

Mr Taylor I should have thought about that at the "ordering stuff" stage but that still wouldn't allow me to pull through the cable in future still I think cus the head would still get stuck

I think maybe I should go with the metal channel nailed or glued onto the concrete like banana said that wouldn't allow me to pull through cable in future but I suppose it's my mistake I should have dumped some nice big fat 40mm waste in the concrete oh well hindsight and all that :cry:

Or maybe I'll just dump some 32mm in the screed :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back