Average water pressure in a house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the average water pressure in a standard 3/4 bedroomed house with its own supply?

What I am trying to find out is what pressure would a 15mm copper pipe to an overhead shower be expected to withstand if it is fed from a 2.0bar shower pump?

Sponsored Links
Which average> The range nationally is going to be something like 0.7-12bar, and so the median average will be around 6 bar. The mode average is probably somewhere around 3 bar

If your shower pump is rated to 2.0 bar then bizzarely enough the pressure at your shower head will be no more than 2.0 bar. Or have I missed something?

Perhaps he is expecting to feed his shower pump form the 3 bar mains!!!

Nature of the enquiry is to help in a possible dispute with the landlord.
We rented this property 16 months ago on an 18 month contract. Since the very start we have had problem after problem after problem with the plumbing & heating. The shower pump has been replaced twice. Original one was not working when we moved in. I got permission to replace like for like and was reimbursed the cost of the pump. 14 months later that burnt out and I was given to replace again. After talking with a few contract plumbers who were working in our factory I was advised to go for a 2.0 bar pump which I duly fitted. 6 weeks later and we discover the shower is leaking somewhere in the cavity wall. Plumber has been and stuck his camera down the cavity from the loft but says he can't see anything because it is so dusty in there.
I just want to be fully informed in case they say household pipes are not designed to take 2.0 bar.

So to simplify my original question.

Should a 15mm feed to an overhead shower with a compression elbow hidden in a wall cavity be expected to withstand 2.0 bar of pressure when the shower is turned on?

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
The answer to your question is yes. it should, although I'd have installed soldered rather than compression fittings if I was doing it.

Thanks Andrew. I say compression fitting because that's what the plumber said it would be. It may well be a soldered elbow but as it is concealed in a wall void I have no way of knowing for certain.

If the shower is leaking in the cavity then it's cutting in and taking a look if no other access, nothing else for it and shouldn't be left, cost to repair will just continuously rise.

Should a 15mm pipe and/or a compression/push fit connection take 2 bar of water pressure - yup agree, as muggles says.
Could a push fit or compression start to leak, yup, and exactly why they shouldn't be used in areas that aren't accessible.

Should a 15mm feed to an overhead shower with a compression elbow hidden in a wall cavity be expected to withstand 2.0 bar of pressure when the shower is turned on?
Yes, easily.
Plastic pipes generally rated to 10 bar at least, copper substantially more. Fittings for both generally at least 10 bar and often more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back