AVG FREE?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does AVG still offer a free product (as opposed to a free trial)? Somehow, I have McAfee installed on my laptop, but I have no idea how it got there, or why my AVG disappeared! It now needs an upgrade, and appears to be chargeable.

As you may guess computer tech is not my forte

Hope you ca help,

Thanks
Tim

Sponsored Links
Yes. AVG has a free version that you can always download.

Did you recently downloaded a free software like an Adobe product or Java? You may not have unchecked the McAfee installation. Uninstall it. It's pretty useless. They'll just sell you McAfee products.

You probably inadvertently installed McAfee when you installed Firefox or Chrome.

You have to read what is being told you as you click install as there is a "default install" of McAfee Unless you tick the "Do not install" McAfee box.

Never install more than ONE Anti-virus program as they will work against each other and slow the machine to a crawl.

Sponsored Links
I stopped using AVG when it became more like bloatware.

I got that McAfee freebee downloads with chrome or Adobe, It was not a security programme in the proper sense, it just told me if I had security software installed and tried to sell me McAfee.

If it has removed your AVG and unless the McAfee download has changed I would be concerned that you may have been vunerable to attack.

Certainly get the AVG or whatever you choose and do a full scan at once.

I run Norton but also have Free Malwarebytes as a back up, you can install the free version with other security products because the free (unlike the paid for one) version is only a stand alone malwere checker that you choose to run as a maintainance action.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Always good to have some additional reassurance if you feel something may be wrong.

I am sorry I have not come back earlier, but we have had some family drama!
Thank you all for your responses. Especially Stivino. And foxhole for the PM.
I DID recently download Chrome, and yes, I think that is how I ended up with McAfee.

I am going to download AVG now I have the time to concentrate. Will it automatically detect and offer to delete McAfee?

No it wont delete McAfee.

You will have to do that from add/remove programs.

[edit] Assuming you are running XP or Win 7 <-- I think.

Sorry, It's a long time since I've sullied myself with any Microsoft product as a consequence it's kinda hard to remember intricacies of Windows.

I'd simply press ctrl+T and enter and then type... (if McAfee was installed on my system)

[code:1] sudo apt-get remove --purge mcafee[/code:1]

Copy & Paste but worth repeating.....

Few Windows users know this, and no anti-virus software vendor will tell you.

Every year, there are thousands or even tens of thousands of new viruses and malware released for Windows. An anti-virus program unfortunately can't tell whether a file is infected unless the pattern matches something that's already been programmed into its database.

I hear you ask: "How do the anti-virus software developers manage to keep up with adding new viruses to the database?"

The answer is, they don't (see attached graph). The most virulent viruses get put into the anti-virus databases, the less well-known ones don't get put into the database. A gap of some thousands of viruses. Oh, the better anti-virus programs these days can detect the kind of behavior that an active virus will create, but they are entirely toothless at stopping new viruses or lesser-known viruses from actually infecting your system in the first place.

Not only is it a bad idea to 100% trust your anti-virus software, but the idea has become even worse in the three minutes it took you to read this message.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/3162/b0de.jpg

I always feel you get owt for nowt, I would rather use a paid for product myself.

Sponsored Links
Back