AVTech - Grey Screen

• Thread starter RedHerring2
  • Start date
R

RedHerring2

Hello, I have an AVTech 4 channel MPEG 4 DVR.

A few months ago the cameras just started showing a grey screen in live mode (All three of them). All at the same time.
The playback mode still shows pictures as normal of the time before the problem occurred. There is no pictures on the current recordings.

Is this a repairable problem or a replacement?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
may be a power supply problem with the cams and not the dvr

Not familiar with your unit, sounds abit generic.

what you got powering the cams?

Get the camera PSU and disconnect everything.
What is the output?

Put a camera onto another supply, 12vdc 500ma will suffice and link it direct to the dvr.
Now we know if the cameras are working, if so and you have a picture on the DVR it is the PSU.

It is simple check and test time, we have no big secrets. Experience yes, but we all test the stuff the same way.

If your still stuck ask away, always happy to help someone willing to do it correctly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replys, guys.
I suspected it might be something like the psu for the cameras, but I thought I'd seen the motion detector indicator lit at some times. But it doesn't seem to be doing that now, so maybe you're right.

I don't have any spare psu lying about, even if I did I'm not sure I'd know how to connect it to a camera to check the camera is working OK.

I assume that if I take it into a repair shop they can test the psu and replace it if it's faulty.

Any ideas on cost?
I'm assuming it'd be a lot cheaper than a replacement DVR?

Be cheaper to get a meter and test the PSU.
Unless you know a tame sparks, get him to test if you are unable.
Expect to pay about £40.00 for a decent boxed one to supply all the cameras.

If your looking for a replacement, recommendation from me would be dantech, elmdene also do good boxed psu's

As alarm says it would be better to test to be sure, but, it does sound like the psu has bitten the dust judging by the symptoms.

http://www.dantech.uk.com/index.html

As your not trade, expect to pay a wee bit more.

Good luck ;)

Thanks very much for your help, guys.

I tried all the connections before, in case it was a loose connection.
Being sure that I'd seen the motion detector indicator on the screen I thought, before, that the psu to the cameras must have been working, but checking it earlier and realising that the indicator was no longer coming on that perhaps it was the psu after all.
So, traced and checked all the psu connections and the first connection, from the psu to the 2=way link (VGA converter and 5-waylink for cameras) must have been a wonky connection. Unplugged it, plugged it together and now it's working fine.

But thanks everyone for their input.

One reason why we say check everything, is it could be what you have discovered.

Glad its all sorted and thanks for letting us know the outcome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back